Haunt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing 3" Foamular board from Home Depot. For years I've been gluing together 1" board to get to the desired thickness, and I'm tired of it. The price of a 3" board is about the same as buying 3 1" pieces - about $36, but Home Depot will not order small quantities. The minimum order is a "unit" of 24 pieces. Obviously I don't need this much, but I'd be willing to buy a unit and sell them at cost (I'll be happy to show you the receipt) if other people will take at least half of it (12 pieces). You won't save much money with the thicker board, but the ease of use and structural integrity for larger props is very desirable for me.

- This is not a traditional "group buy" - this is me buying the foam board and selling it at cost to you.
- Due to the size of the boards, no shipping will be offered. Local pickup only (I'm in Flower Mound, north of the DFW area). I do have a pickup truck, so if you need local transportation, let me know and can discuss.
- If I can get informal commitment for at least 12 pieces, we're on.

Thanks!
Gene

·
Registered
686 Posts
Gene, do you mind white styrofoam? If you dont mind, then you can order 3" sheets from powerfoam in Midlothian TX (25 min south of Dallas on 67). I think they were $12 or $18 a sheet when I got them three weeks ago. I am just offereing that as an alternative for you.
http://www.powerfoam.net/

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip! I've never used white styrofoam - I'm imagining this to be like disposable cooler material, composed of small beads. I would think this would be harder to carve cleanly, but never having used it, couldn't say for sure. Does it work well for tombstones, etc?

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Gma, there are all kinds and varying densities of white styro. While some of the less dense types can indeed leave you in a veritable blizzard of little white beads, others can be carved. Usually with the white stryo I use the burning method. I've never been a big fan of carved tombstones anyway, the crisp sharp lines look too fake on a supposedly aged stone. I'd suggest PMing Allen, or stopping by to see what they have if you're close enough.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great into guys, I'll give it a try!

·
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty
2,236 Posts
Do I interpret your message correctly? $36 a sheet, and we would need to buy twelve times that amount? I'd be interested in some 3" foam, but not that much. (And definitely not white styrofoam.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts