Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originaly posted this at Halloweenforum.co fourm so I thought I would pass it on here also. just in case nobody seen it there.

This is what I use in my yard for surround sound creepy noises. it works great and did not cost me any extra cash. Well' the speaker wire. but that was it. I had everything else. It may sound tuff, but it is very easy and sounds great.

it requires.

1 Computer with suroundsound audio card. I use a soundblaster audigy
1 Neverwinter Nights PC game from Bioware/Atari
2 stereo amps one for front left/right the other for rear left/right.
4 house speakers.
and a bunch of speaker wire.

I think you can pick the game up for 20 bucks now. There are a bunch of sounds to chose from.... more than most sound effect cd's. and they are very good quality.
Neverwinter nights comes with a game editor you can use to place and edit game sounds and music in a 3D environment. There are hundreds of sounds to chose from.Aything from creaking boards,screams,crows,owls,zombie moans ect. or these sounds can be set to 'pop' up at random times in random places in "3D" or qudraphonic sound. They can also be set to a fixed positon. It also has ambient sounds that loop like crickets,frogs, wind thunder rain ect. Position, volume, time interval, pitch ect.. can be adjusted for each sound.

I set up using my computer audio outs front left/right into one stereo amp and rear left/right to the second amp. and set the computer to 4 speaker quadrophonic. I place 4 speakers one on each corner of my yard pointing towards the center. and run the speaker wire.

Using the Aroura tool set game editor is really easy. You start off by creating a module, I called mine "Halloween FX". Then create an area(room to start in). A simple sqare room will do. You will then need to place a start point directly in the middle of the room. This will act as the focal point for the sound and is where your character will stand when the game starts. All sounds are based on the characters positon. So for seting a fixed position soundsay a "campfire" you just place the "sound object" where you want it to sound like it is coming from.For an atmospheric type sound like the cricket loop you just paint it in the room and adjust the position to "sounds from everywhere in location" under the sounds properties menu.Then its just a matter of going through the list selecting and "painting" sound objects where you want them in the room.

It sounds pretty impressive from the street, but once you walk up towards the door the whole neighborhood sounds haunted. Last year I had mine set up so that all of my props had their own fixed position sounds layerd over a constant "crickets" and "frogs" loops that played over the entire area. the witches culdron had a campfire sound and a bubbling sound coming from the same "area" where the witch was standing, The zombie would gurgle and moan at random times from it's own spot ect. But the really cool sounds where the random screams, yells, wolves. ect that came on at random times at random positions.They sounded like they came from somewhere else in the neighborhood. (example) A womans scream sounded like it came from the block behind my house. the next time it sounded like it was acorss the street.

the fun is endless.

Anyway, I just thought that I would post this and hope someone else gives it a try. If you have any questions feel free to post it. I will be happy to answer it if I can.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I have this game and the sound effects for it are amazing. Great idea (and I said so on HF.com too). I will have to try this some day. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
hell, for 20 bux, I'm gonna give it a shot......I've spent more on stuff that didn't do anything half as cool as that....thanx for the tip

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Plus maxcarnage, it's an absolutely awesome game! The module creator is mind-bogglingly deep and worthwhile!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can also import your own custom sounds into the game. I have not played around with this yet but I do have a nice sample of the warewolf howl from "American Warewolf in London" and a few choice phrases from "Evil Dead II" that I would like to incorporate into the soundscape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Will any version of the game do?

I was just wondering if any version of the game will work?
I can find the gold edition online for about $12
There are also various expansion sets available.

SpookyDad

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Get the Diamond Edition if you can. It's got every expansion and the editor for about $19.

But if you're just interested in the editor, then any version of the game will have the editor. The expansions alone DO NOT have it, but the Gold, Diamond, and original edition of the game has it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow, this thread is back from the dead! so has anyone played around with this yet? I would really like to hear your thoughts. :D

If anything else we could get a group together on-line and play a game or something. Sorry, that movie that pete posted a few days ago keeps coming to mind! LOL

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm seriously thinking about lugging this set up to Ironstock this year. to give a tutorial of sorts, and give you guys a better idea of what it sounds like. I might have to bring the truck :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
I showed the DH this thread last night. He's been into NWN for 10 yrs or so, so he was all over this concept. Guess who's getting a new soundscape for her cemetery this year :)

Thanks, Hib!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I Hope you do Gothikim,. :D tis' lotsa fun!

Heres one for you haunters that like to do the strings hanging down in a dark hallway.
house-of-flies

Idealy the left speaker should be at the far end of the hallway facing the entrance or above the area with the strings and the right speaker should be placed near the entrance facing down the hall. :D

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
not much of a gamer but this sounds interesting especialy since we want sound this year
LOTS OF SOUND

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Neverwinter NIghts 2 is coming out soon, I hope it has the same toolset features and new sounds. I now have 2 computers with surround sound ,hehehe.
right now I'm busy making new speaker columns using some cheap indoor outdoor speakers I bought at Best Buy they seem prety decent for $20.00 a pair. My buddy is working on letting me use his brothers klipsch (sp?) powered subwoofer to fill in where the little speakers fall short.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I still love the main theme from the old game phantasmagoria!
meh, The 7th guest and the 11th hour forever :D

Old man Stauf... shame I already have a name for my main bad ghostie..

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, I went out and bought another Neverwinter Nights Game, The Diamond edition, has all the expansion packs, for $20. now that I have 2 computers I wonder what dual quad sound would do? It may be a bit much for just a simple front yard decoration. :D But next year!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys!
I'm new here and I'm glad I cam upon this thread. It's a great idea and I think I can manage doing it - except that I recently had a computer crash and I had to buy a new main hard drive. For some odd reason, I can't seem to install my NWN Gold on this thing. It keeps saying that it's not in the install directory. I've posted an query on both the Atari and the BioWare forum sites but does anyone know what might be wrong? I'm quite eager to try out this idea of hiblagrande's. You can PM me to keep this thread on topic. Thanks! =)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts