Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about to place my order for 100 fence finials when I saw the total with shipping and realized my fence budget was about to be destroyed. I started to look for alternatives. Unable to find any that looked good and kept the price down I decided to make my own. For $2.00 I bought two sheets of craft foam and made about 40 finials.

supplies
12x18x3mm craft foam sheet
hot glue /gun
scissors
marker or pen

Each finial will need the follow pieces cut from foam.
(2) triangles
(1) 1.5" x 1.5" square
(1) 1" x 3" strip ( I made mine 3" + 1/16")
Sizes are based on 1/2" pvc used for the fence.

I made a template out of thin plastic but cardboard will work just as well. The triangle is 2" at the bottom and 3" tall. At this size you should get 36 finials from one full sheet. Adjust the size and shape to fit your haunt. Make it wavy, serrated what ever floats your boat.

Trace the template across the bottom then flip it over and trace a second row

Cut out the triangles match in pairs then cut one of the pair in half length wise.

Glue the two halves to each side of the triangle creating a spear shape. Cut out a 1.5" square for each spear and glue it to the bottom.

Cut out a 1" x 3" strip and glue it to the PVC top

Glue the spear to the top of the PVC/foam strip

Paint it with the fence and apply faux rust.

·
H.B.I.C.
9,101 Posts
Great idea!

·
Headless & Haunting
Creating a massive fundraiser haunted house for our local Scout group.
4,783 Posts
They look excellent AND THEY ARE SAFE! Great job!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nice finials and you can't beat the price. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's awesome. Where did you find 2 black sheets of craft foam for $2? At my local dollar store they only have white.
I bought mine at Hobby Lobby its a chain craft store. The sheets were .99 each. Even if you used white you can paint when you paint the fence.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Perfect, I was thinking of making a mold of one and using 2 part foam but this looks easier and less expensive.

·
Humanitarian of the Year
4,241 Posts
Great idea. I've got a bunch of this crap left over.

I noticed when I painted craft foam with spray paint - the result looked really bad. The foam curled horribly and the foam kept absorbing the paint... any suggestions to painting the foam? If you spray paint it, how many coats?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I would think that the foam would absorb a lot of whatever you use....I'm gonna try gasso (3 parts joint compound, 1 part Elmer's and some black dye)...probably won't make them for a while, but I'll let y'all know how it works....

·
Humanitarian of the Year
4,241 Posts
I would think that the foam would absorb a lot of whatever you use....I'm gonna try gasso (3 parts joint compound, 1 part Elmer's and some black dye)...probably won't make them for a while, but I'll let y'all know how it works....
What is the consistency of that? Could you dip the finials in or do you have to paint it on? I'm trying to map out a manufacturing process in my head that allows you to dip the finials then lay them out to dry.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
As is you would have to paint it on....it's what you use to smooth out and finish mache' before painting...you can mix it with paint, so I would assume you can thin it a bit and dip them

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Great idea. I've got a bunch of this crap left over.

I noticed when I painted craft foam with spray paint - the result looked really bad. The foam curled horribly and the foam kept absorbing the paint... any suggestions to painting the foam? If you spray paint it, how many coats?
Try using a coat of latex paint on them first, it will protect the foam from the solvents in the spray paint and also add a bit of texture at the same time.
Remember, these are supposed to be made of iron, so they should have some texture.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just painted a few mock ones last night. I plan to place these outside and see how they hold up. I used a base coat of black latex paint applied via brush. Drylock in areas to add a gritty texture and then a little spay of popcorn ceiling patch (just testing to see what kind of texture I could get out of it.) A second layer of black then dry brush rust and dabs of spar to add shine. Yes this is quite excessive, but I was testing different techniques... Im not totally happy with the results, the rusting dry brush got a little out of hand....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts