Haunt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a newbie I'm on the look out for anything that could help me learn and make me better at haunting. Now I think there was a sort of book list on here already but it wasn't quiet what I was thinking of.

That being said what books have helped you in your haunting lives or changed the way you viewed your haunt. Don't limit your self to just books on haunting.

I.E.
Drawing for dummies
Feng shui for dummies

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
There are also plenty of books on building props for the stage/theater, lighting, and architecture and history that can let you fine tune your period or style. Look at books on home wiring, carpentry, plumbing, painting, faux finishes, etc. There are also books on garden mazes, crowd control, fire safety, makeup, set painting, airbrushing, cement work, masonry, anatomy, casting, prosthetic makeup, mortuary science, foley work, recording, sound system design, party planning, event management, sculpting, air conditioning and ductwork, and all kinds of specialized fields.
A lot really depends upon what your needs are for skills an theme(s).

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I guess the question ends up being whether your bigger need is inspiration, or the "How-To" end of things. For me, like many, the inspiration is the easy part, it's the understanding/knowledge on how to go about creating it that ends up being the challenge.
Don't get me wrong, I love the movies too, but for out and out knowledge they tend to leave a bit to be desired.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oi your all missing the point of a list.

So I do to family reasons I have been reading a lot of child psychology books lately. I just finished 'Wednesdays children' though it was a tough book to read and not something I would recommend for everyone it did point out where behaviors and fears come from in abused children and my sick mind started turning it on how to use some of this knowledge for haunts.

List:
Drawing for dummies
Wednesdays children
Magic creatures (So many ideas)
Idiots guide to Feng shui
Stephen King on Writing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have just one book on my list right now that has given me a multitude of inspirations for the coming year - it's just called "Halloween"
, it's a collection of short stories mostly about Halloween. The story that gave me the best idea is "The October Game" by Ray Bradbury. It inspired me to change my gross-out boxes to an activity with a theme. Yeah, I do gross-out boxes right in the middle of my haunt.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Favorite Halloween "how to" books

One of my favorite how to books for Halloween is How to Haunt Your House II.

Do you have a book you love for prop ideas and how tos?

·
Clean "cut"
27,007 Posts
I have that book Draik. Nice!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts