Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still swear that I am going to make at least 1 or 2 props that move! For now, these are a couple projects that I made over the course of 3 months (on and off).

My ship's anchor for my pirate shipwreck. It's about 5 feet tall and comes apart for storage. It's paper mache and cardboard tubes.

I don't like how dark it is, so I may paint it again but a lighter color.

Then I made a few crates out of cardboard boxes and some scrap styrofoam and painted to look like wood. I wasn't going for a totally realistic look, just something that would give you the impression they are wooden crates. The small box in front is real wood (like you couldn't tell). I made that to use for a birthday party last week, filled it with candy for the 'loot'.

That's it for now ... boring stuff, but at least I'm getting some things done! :D

·
Super Moderator
64,104 Posts
Nice job, IMU! I wouldn't change the color on the anchor - it looks great (at least in the picture:)).

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
These are very nice. I also like the anchor color. I would have never known it was paper mache. Can't wait to see the size of the ship!

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the compliments. I just love all your prop painting DC ... always top notch so thanks a bunch for the kind words.

OK ... here is a quick close-up on the anchor's main feature: The Skull. Again, it's just paper towel mache built up in layers. Maybe this will give you a better idea of the painting colors and the texture of the piece. My main concern of the existing paint color is that the detail will most likely be lost out in the yard. Maybe I can overcome this with better lighting or maybe a lighter paint job with better lighting???

The Watcher, if you go to my website (click the banner) you will see my shipwreck from last year. Not planning on making a new one, just add more details to it for this year. :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Great job on everything. The boxes look excellent!

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Very nice work, i think they look great. No pirate ship would be complete without them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts