Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Pretty sure I'm doing a mine themed haunt this year. It should be interesting and provide for some unique scares. I have some ideas of my own but could use some more and was pretty sure this was the place to come. Anyways I want to here your guys ideas for theming and scares.

Thanks for helping!!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Build an entrance to a mine shaft about 3 feet square and about 3 feet deep. Then put a "bottomless Pit" effect at the other end. Make a small mine cart that sits just inside the 3 foot square part, but when you look past the cart it looks like a mine shaft.

Of course you will have skeleton miners.

Again, build some mine carts from plywood, like cut outs. Then make animated "tombstone peepers" with zombie or skeleton or mangled minors peeking up behind it.

A cave in with arms and legs poking out.

Lots of bats.

That's all I got for now.

·
Zombie Sniper
2,825 Posts
For indoor you could decorate the walls in to look like the shaft and have a walk through. The "bottomless Pit" effect could still be used as the collapsed shaft that the victims walk past. This would also be a good place for a scare (actor or prop) on the opposite side of the pit as long as the pit is the main focus of the room/shaft.

Hanging lanterns from walls/ceiling would help with the atmosphere. Faint sound of the trapped miners calling/tapping on the tunnel walls would also be cool.

Don't forget smell as a mood setter as well. The smell of damp earth would aid in realism and can be done with small margarine/tupperware style containers full of earth with holes in the lids.

Okay next person.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We did a mine as part of our haunt last year .... Had a Tct disguised as a barrel of blasting powder... A drop wall and a run away ore cart

·
Registered
220 Posts
The runaway cart idea sounds terrific! I'll probably do a ghost town/haunted mine theme at some point, and that particular scare is a definite keeper!!

I've been wondering what would be the best way to do mine walls. Wooden supports could probably be done from cardboard. Here's an idea: take your typical wall panel, and glue on flattened balls of newspaper. Then, take a roll of wide brown paper, the kind that hardware stores sell in the paint dept, and cover up the newspaper, creating an irregular wall surface.

On the other hand, all this strikes me as a tremendous fire hazard, so maybe that's not such a great idea.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet man. I actually have a tct built. Just didn't know what u meant. Lol. The cart idea is great too!! I was thinking I would use pallets for walls.

Sorry for all the questions but what did u use for lanterns and how'd u make them flicker?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Used cheap 5 dollar decretive lanterns rewired them to accept flicker bulb sockets used vacuum cleaner cord for plugs( really long and free.... Sniped from old vacuums ) hung them from the rafters with bailing wire ..... Viola instant mine lighting... Did dust them with flat black paint of course

·
Banned
2,398 Posts
I'm going with a Steven King style "deadly Mutant fog" that was created from a mine accident. If I can pull it off I will have a fake newcast on a TV at the entrance of my haunt saying something like "All residents of anytown are being evacuated due to a deady mine accident that has released a toxic gas. This mysterious gas has proven to be extremely hazardous...." Then the screen get's Fuzzy... Then I want an actor with his back to you wearing a lab coat saying something like "I can''t believe that they've gone and done it!!! DON"T GO IN THERE... Please I BEG YOU.... You'll NEVER get out alive!!! and then he turns around and has a half normal face and the other half mutated. I've already built my Mine entrance. Scroll down a little so see it almost completed.

http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=21334&highlight=Impossible+folding&page=7

Once inside there will be various Mutant things like Man eating Plants. Half human/beast props, a MIB (monster in a Box). Mutant Huge spiders, and Various Zombie type things that will be rising from the dead. I also want a horizontal Bottomless pit agains my RR tie wall that liooks like a a branch of the Mine. Of course My large vortex stule fog chillers will be working overtime to complete the illusion of toxic gas. I was going to make a runaway rail car out of "G" gage trains but I just won't have time. My entire haunt will be outdoors so it would be difficult to really pull off feeling like your actually inside a mine. There is SOO MUch more I want to do but I just don't have the time to pull it all off.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I did an elevator to Hell one year and made several foam-rubber rocks that fit together nicely and attached them to some thick elastic belts I bought at a fabric store so that they hung like a curtain. I cut a large hole in the foam-board wall and covered the hole with the rocks. I also hung a black sheet on the opposite side of the wall to help hide any cracks between the rocks of the curtain. Now, an actor could literally burst through the wall at any time. Once he pulled back, the rocks would spring back into place for the next group.

·
Registered
61 Posts
How about a broken but still lit lantern laying amoung a bunch of boxes and sticks of old dynamite. Should be able to get a bang out of that one.

One thing I've wanted to try is make a bat area with lots of bats hanging from the top of the cave all moving around. Just fold up the rubber bats, mount them on sticks sticking through holes in the roof and held in place in some manner, then mounting pieces of paper to act as sails on the other end of the stick (above the cave roof) for an ocelating fan blowing back and forth across them, making them move in waves. This, coupled with a bat soundtrack and mood lighting should make a pretty spooky bat cave.

A broken overhead beam that cracks and groans as you walk under it. Maybe even rig some type of pressure plate bit that makes it move when stepped on...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just fold up the rubber bats, mount them on sticks sticking through holes in the roof and held in place in some manner, then mounting pieces of paper to act as sails on the other end of the stick (above the cave roof) for an ocelating fan blowing back and forth across them, making them move in waves.
That's funny, I had the same idea a couple of days ago (for faces behind a scrim). Have you ever seen it done? I'd love to know the results.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's funny, I had the same idea a couple of days ago (for faces behind a scrim). Have you ever seen it done? I'd love to know the results.
I haven't. Thought it up a while back and found it this year in my notes. I was considering doing it for this year but another prop has taken it's place in the queue. If the pivot point can be worked out, maybe a couple of fishing lure cup washers convex ends facing each other or something of the like with the bats on bamboo skewers might work. Would love to give it a try sometime though. Post pics if you get it up and going!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts