Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I built mine for about $40. That doesn't include stuff I had laying around already, like teflon tape, wire, paint, pipe insulation (for the ribs), foam for the carriage and scrap wood for a frame.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Chris if you have a olie's near you they have those 7 gallon air tanks for less then 20.00. That and a air valve a couple of fittings and you are good to go. This is a link to get a good working Idea. I am using the one with the washer valve in a prop this year. I'll send you some pics when I get it finished. I got the valve free from a place that throws away old appliances. They let me get the power cords, relays and valves off them. Don't waste your time with a sprinkler valve.

http://www.deathlord.net/AirCannon/ConcussionCannon/concan2.htm

·
Registered
191 Posts
I built one last year. I believe it ended up costing well under $50.

It was hidden in a bush and activated by a motion sensor and timer relay. Scared the heck out of everyone!
I like the design of this! Is there a benefit to using a sprinkler valve instead of a regular industrial air solenoid? Like is there more volume or anything like that?
Or is it just cheaper?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The sprinkler valve is definitely inexpensive, especially for such a large bore (1"). Since you're simply dumping the air it seems to be a good solution. It worked well for my cannon and I know many others have used them as well. I originally tried to use an in-line valve but could not get rid of the honking sound. This anti-siphon version was quiet and also made it easier to position the barrel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
What kind of valve did you get? The first one I tried (a Toro in-line 1" valve) honked like crazy. The one I ended up using is a Lawn Genie 1" jar top anti-siphon valve. The part is L7010. It works great with no unwanted noise and handles the pressure no problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A few things... is it an in-line valve or an anti-siphon style? Also, how long is the valve open for? I use a time delay relay on mine to keep the valve open for just 1/10th of a second. Any longer increases the likelihood of honking and also creates an unwanted hissing sound.

How is your tank connected? The key is to deliver the maximum amount of air in the shortest period of time. A tank connected via a hose won't do that. You pretty much need a large direct connection (which is why I used a 1" valve) to the chamber.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would try the Lawn Genie valve I used. It's a proven quantity and will eliminate the valve as a source or noise. If there are still problems you can work them from there.

A time delay relay is a relay that turns on (on-delay or interval) for a set or adjustable period of time once power is applied. There are also versions that turn on instantly and then off after a set or adjustable period (off-delay). Most of these relays are DPDT so for a single action you can use either type. eBay is an excellent source.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm using a Dayton interval time delay relay. I found one on eBay last year that's good down to 1/10th of a second. The relays with very short minimum times can be a bit harder to find but they're out there. I think I paid less than $20. I also bought sockets from another seller for a few bucks each. There seem to be more relays out there for less money this year though.

Here's an auction for on-delay timer relays...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnecraft-time-delay-relay-W211ACPSOX-5-New_W0QQitemZ360182671374QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53dc8f680e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This won't work for an air cannon due to the minimum time but if gives a good idea. These are on-delay type so you can use them for a single action by connecting your prop to the normally closed side of the relay and having your motion sensor switch voltage to the coil as well as the relay contacts. I have a few controllers I've built for this year that work the same way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts