Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start designing a air cannon that has a growl type sound when the blast of air is shot out of it. I have a few ideas but want to get some more input before i start investing in R&D (research and development).

Any idea's anyone?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm. You're probably going to need something oscillating within the "throat" at a frequency a few KHz, and a tuned resonant chamber to amplify it. To produce the growl, the stream of air should be constant, in order to maintain constant mix of frequencies.

The blast from an air cannon will generally last around one second (or less), and the air flow will drop off precipitously, so not much time for a growl and the frequency of any sound produced will vary as a function of the air flow.

Perhaps your growling mechanism should be in parallel with the air cannon.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent info BCat. I have a custome air cannon that I can control the length and flow of, I'm thinking a 2 to 3 second burst. As far as the growl, I'm thinking a carbon fiber reed type setup (like a 2-stroke engine) and a tuned resonant chamber immediatly after, also might need som baffeling. It won't be an exact groml but I'll be happy with "close", it's something different from the norm.
Thank's for the input!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
In an animal's throat, the growl is a rapid series of discrete sounds as the tension on the vocal machinery sort of slams shut the airflow every few microseconds... seems to me any rapid series of impacts should do it. Ever drive too close to the shoulder where the pavement's grooved and you get that growly, howly whine sound from the tires?

Think rapid hits on a diaphragm of some sort that the airflow passes across on its way to the resonance chamber. Maybe just a rotary motor with a knobby projection on one side to hit whatever you're using for a drumhead. The size of the diaphragm would vary the pitch, and the speed of the motor would vary the "throatiness" or phlegmminess of the sound.

Just a theory but may be worth looking into. I just give you massive kudos for looking into a non-recorded way of producing sound, I think there should be more of that.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I imagine a large 6 inch pipe with various sizes of surgical rubber tubing stretched across tin inside. with air blowing though it strumming the rubber cords. kinda like a large woopee cushion ,well sorta :) A sub woofer would be more practical though.

on another note, ever run the edge of a pick down your guitar stings? a large wound bass string strung tight with something scraping down the edge at the right speed might give a growl.

now imagine a a 4 foot section of 4 inch pipe set up like a slide whistle with a piston type thing that runs up and down with a heavy bass string stung through the center. the piston has a spring loaded scraper that rubs the string to give the growl, and air pushes the piston up and down to cause the pitch to change. might sound more like a big frog. :D

just odd thoughts.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Or corrugated drain pipe with something scraping along the length of it... like a massively oversized version of that guitar string. The air stream passes through the pipe while the "scraper" clicks/bumps along the ribs of the pipe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So far, I've seen lots of interesting suggestions, but why does the growling need to be part of the air cannon? Why not use an MP3 player and a speaker that is triggered when you fire your air cannon?

-Brian

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All great ideas, keep um coming. I've got to get started on R&D now!

why does the growling need to be part of the air cannon?-Brian
Storage, simplicity, easy setup and take down, won't be as vulnerable in bad weather and so I can put it in a minimal amount of space and get two effect's at once. To get the volume that the air cannon (I hoping) should produce, It would take a large speaker or sub to get where I'm trying to be for sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try using a Automotive(Body Shop) Air hammer!
These things are very loud! and very easy to control the sound
they make, The cheap china one's work well.too try Pep-Boys
or AutoZone..

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try using a Automotive(Body Shop) Air hammer!
These things are very loud! and very easy to control the sound
they make, The cheap china one's work well.too try Pep-Boys
or AutoZone..
Hey Campdoc, does an air hammer it give a big blast of air? Cause that would work great if so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kinda sounds like a Two stroke motorcycle..pop-pop-pop!
I promise these will scare the Yell' out of you..
" better than a chain saw in the woods.."
it's small,looks like a pistol.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Only problem is it needs to be pressed against something to get the vibration. Every one of those that I've used, if you pull the trigger and nothing is putting resistance against the chisel, it just goes PFFFFFFFFT.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noteing all these great ideas so keep them coming. I have a lot of materials to work with and plan on trying as many ways as possible and will post the result's after the completion.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Deafening yes, but about as far from a growl as you can get. Unless the scare involves being chased by a deranged body shop mechanic.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm thinking some inertube's from a bike streched out over the start of the cannon tube and some redirection chambers (like a flow master exaust) to deepin the sound further. What's your thought's on that?

·
Registered
103 Posts
It looks to me as if you're building an enormous pneumatic whoopee cushion!

Hmmm.... That might work with an air cannon!
In a dark maze... The ToTs hear "I don't feel so good!" then as they round a corner, Brrappp!!! with a blast of air washing over them. "I feel much better now!"
Might be good for a dead-end! pun intended!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts