Haunt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is my latest yard haunt. I wanted to create a Tombstone that would both look good during the day as well as at night. I also wanted a back story and for this one:

"It is the tragic story of a young girl seduced by the son of the evil Count... Anabelle was young, beautiful and wanted to attend the countries university. While there she is seduced by a boy who's father was not only ruthless but sadistic and he did not approve of the young commoner Anabelle and so sentenced her to the guillotine. She was only 19. Her soul never rested at peace..."

With the back story in place I set about creating a tombstone that could withstand our harsh weather. Here in New Orleans we get ferocious thunder storms, with heavy rain and strong winds and gusts. So I built it to shed water and be stable enough to not topple in strong winds. The tombstone is also a "Jump Scare" in the Disney Haunted Mansion sense. On the outside is the old grave marker with flowers just sprouting up to comfort the departed but inside is the mechanical system that jumps and scares when someone comes too close. I was pleased with the dichotomy of exterior sereneness and interior turmoil.

It is built with plywood covered with foam insulation and treated with layers of Drylok paint for strength and water protection. The compartment that houses the electronics (Controller inspired by ButtonBanger.com) in completely enclosed and water tight.

Here is a brief video of it during daylight. I will post further video's and pictures with all the build information and effects.

Enjoy...

I used the Octobanger software, Arduino Uno and a 4 relay shield to control the setup.

I also created a simple actuator that runs on a simple 2 port solenoid.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's awesome. Very serene and unassuming as your reading the epitaph then BAM you get the crap scared out of you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts