Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally working on a new prop, an animated version of the cloaked ghost, originally created by Pumpkinrot, with a nice version built by Grim a few years back.

My version will have 3 movements, and will try to capture the void like Grim's version while also being UV reactive. I finished the mechanics tonight and taped the armature in action.

Hopefully by making this a WIP I will get done sooner rather then later, and you will get some ideas of your own.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol:Johnny...you are simply amazing!!! I can't believe how you took an already great prop and gave it a new movement...it is super fantastic!!! Thank so much for sharing and you are beyond terrific...you are really one of a kind....:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dude, you have some MAD mechanical skills. That is just simply awesome. I use the same vent motors and the best I've pulled off was moving a stupid rat back and forth and opening and closing a jaw on a skellie. The fact that you have 3 actions running off just 1 motor is just a large piece of awesome pie. Congrats! Can't wait to see this finished!

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started with sketches, then I laid everything out using cardboard strips and tacks. I probably got about half of it right the first time. The right arm was a challenge because it was not a 90 angle. I like wood when possible because it is easy to drill additional holes, or carve chunks off.

The key is to think about it, and build it one link at a time, and try to keep things so the movements are completely independent.

·
Super Moderator
64,091 Posts
I was so happy when I saw the title of this thread after logging in. It just isn't Halloween without a Johnny ghost:)

I'm interested in seeing how well the vent motor holds up. It's running a lot more linkages and weight than I thought it could (having experience so far only with head poppers and a tombstone flapper:)).

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
Good to see you Johnny!

Same as Roxy said, I am interested in seeing how long that motor lasts. I wouldn't think it could handle that much linkage. I love your craft!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
So impressive and well thought out. Those little vent motors are great and really hold up well. Can't wait to see this come to life.

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is not much stress on the motor because most of the movement is horizontal. True, I will not for sure until I deck everything out, but I designed this to be more reliable then the leer and wallbreaker, and that includes less stress on the motor, and no lines going through eye hooks. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Ok, now I want a part time job at the bowling alley. Just so I can take a peak at that pinsetter machine and study it! You remind me of a Mechanical Engineering student that lived in my dorm at college. That guy was always coming up with the coolest contraptions.

·
Ghost Maker
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the initial paper mache on the hands, and the support for the cloak in place. I attached the hands for a test run in the following video.

I have also recieved several questions about how I figure the linkages. After a fair amount of sketching and looking at linkages online, I mocked up the linkages using cardboard and tacks. As I built the ghost and things like the motor location needed to change, it was simple to adjust the mock up and keep it in synch with the actual ghost. The video below shows the mock-up. Note the arm holding the lantern needed a lot of modifications when I actually built it, but I at least got the initial linkage right.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,208 Posts
Another amazing work of mechanical genius, Johnny. :)

·
Super Moderator
64,091 Posts
Two hands added and it already looks ghostly - damn!

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
Thanks for showing your conceptual process, Johnny!
It makes sense to cut out cardboard to initially mold and test your creations. You make it look easy but there's a lot to think about. It's interesting how you figure that sh*t out. Inspiring at the very least!

·
A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
Hey everyone, I have an updated video. Everything but the cheesecloth is done. The video shows the cardboard forms for supporting the cloth, and a the working ghost with the black cloth added.
:jol:Johnny?? Not sure how your 'best friend' situation is working out...but if you are ever in the market....I would like to make the list.....ha ha...:D How do you just sit there and come up with this stuff???
Totally unbelievable!!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts