·
Registered
5,682 Posts
very cool ..Good Job Otaku

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks, everyone! I have more pics of the linkage - I'll try to get them posted later today.

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
Nice. That's an awesome twisting, herky jerky, creepy motion going on there Otaku. Did you achieve that movement on your first attempt? If so, bravo!

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks, all! Actually, I didn't get that motion on the first try. My original idea was to have a slower, more squirming or straining motion. I tried this and it was OK, but I was advised that a faster, thrashing motion might be better. I re-mounted the shoulder cross-member to allow the bar to pivot on center, re-positioned the arm anchors and went from a 5VDC to a 9VDC power supply (and may use a 12VDC) to increase to the speed. I like the result - this guy should scare a few TOTs!

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
Thanks, all! Actually, I didn't get that motion on the first try. My original idea was to have a slower, more squirming or straining motion. I tried this and it was OK, but I was advised that a faster, thrashing motion might be better. I re-mounted the shoulder cross-member to allow the bar to pivot on center, re-positioned the arm anchors and went from a 5VDC to a 9VDC power supply (and may use a 12VDC) to increase to the speed. I like the result - this guy should scare a few TOTs!
Definitely! Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Otaku you're always amazing but i Don't think that first movie does this guy justice.
It's Kind of an odd angle maybe straight on or worms eye view would work.
The second movie that shows his inner workings is very cool and shows where all your hard work went.

·
Banned
2,398 Posts
WOw I love this thing! It's relatively simple and could almost replace the pneumatic groundbreaker that I "was" planning to build.

I proposed building this project for our local MnT. If they decide to build one, could you give us some different video angles so we can reproduce it? I'm fairly confident that I could build it first, and take measurements, but your assistance would greatly reduce my time.

What did you use for the "Glide" friction?. I see something black to reduce friction on the crossbar on the upward thrusts (on the angled aluminum guides).

What was the part number or type/length/tension of spring you used?? What sliding door roller was that?

Either way I think I will try to build one of these since it will be cheaper than the pneumatic groundbreaker with ALMOST the same results. GREAT JOB (again)

Your an inspiration. Thanks for all of your innovation, and willingness to share you ideas.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Hey Greg,
Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated! I used heat-shrink tubing on the angled slides to reduce the friction on the crossbar, along with a coating of moly grease. It also helped reduce the impact noise when the Delrin crossbar hits the aluminum guides. The spring was one that I had laying around; I really couldn't give you any spec's on it. The roller is one that's used to guide sliding patio screen doors. The axle ID is .250". The OD doesn't matter too much - it's just there to guide the tension wire (attached to the spring). I can get more still pics in the next few days and get them up on Photobucket.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Otaku more pictures would be greatly appreciated! I have been trying to figure out we you used the strap hinge - I am assuming the head? Any additional pictures that you can provide Greg and I will help us replicate this for a future M & T. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
The small strap hinge was used at the bottom mounting point of one of the forearms. The hinge allows the arm to move in only one direction, preventing kinks at the elbow joint. The elbow joints are zip ties so they can easliy move in all directions, but that can cause unexpected binding and lockups. One arm was made a bit shorter than the other and was mounted at a different position relative to the shoulder, so I didn't need to use a hinge on it. The arm was allowed to move randomly and didn't lock up.

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
Nice Otaku, thanks for that. The movement is very Creepy. The simple yet effective mechanism will run forever!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts