Haunt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. This really is an innocent question so please forgive me if I push any buttons. I'm brand new to the forum so I don't have any of the history that other community members do and I'm sure this has the potential to be a sensitive topic for some, but I just spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why my login wasn't working only to finally realize that I was on the wrong site. I had no idea they were different (hauntforum vs. halloweenforum). Yes, I was being a bit daft and unobservant but I'm not sure you can blame me. They are visually almost identical, they run on the same software platform, and of course the content is entirely interchangeable. Then I discovered that they are owned and operated by the same company. Is there any functional reason to keep them separate? For an admittedly casual contributor like myself, it would make a lot more sense to only have one account and have a consolidated view of the content from both sites. I suspect many of the community members are maintaining dual accounts and jumping between. Are there any plans to merge? I'll keep enjoying the amazing work of the forum members either way but I was just curious given the circumstances.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think it would be worth looking at merging this site into Halloween Forum because this site is pretty much doa. I suspect the main issue would be the user names unless they can match them on email or something.

·
Registered
Yard haunters since 1998
42 Posts
I made a similar mistake the other day and had finally realized I had tried logging into Halloween Forum instead of Haunt Forum (belong to both). While there is definitely a lot of overlap between the two forums, IMO Haunt Forum's content leans more towards the home and yard haunter versus the Halloween enthusiast in general. Each has its own niche. Don't really know the history of Halloween Forum, but prior to new ownership of Halloween and Haunt Forums, Haunt Forum was originally started by a fellow yard haunter back in the early 2000's that had a home haunt called Unpleasant Street, or at least was one of the people who started this forum if I recall correctly. This is where a lot of the home/yard haunters went to talk shop back in the day before social media was a thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I made a similar mistake the other day and had finally realized I had tried logging into Halloween Forum instead of Haunt Forum (belong to both). While there is definitely a lot of overlap between the two forums, IMO Haunt Forum's content leans more towards the home and yard haunter versus the Halloween enthusiast in general. Each has its own niche. Don't really know the history of Halloween Forum, but prior to new ownership of Halloween and Haunt Forums, Haunt Forum was originally started by a fellow yard haunter back in the early 2000's that had a home haunt called Unpleasant Street, or at least was one of the people who started this forum if I recall correctly. This is where a lot of the home/yard haunters went to talk shop back in the day before social media was a thing.
Makes sense. I did read a bit of the history and I can see that at the time there was probably a clearer distinction between them. I've only been on a few days but it just seemed to my uninitiated eye that the content is, for all practical purposes, the same.

·
Super Moderator
64,354 Posts
I seriously doubt the two sites will ever be merged because that would mean one less site for which Vertical Scope could sell ad space.

As I recall, the original founder of this site (ZombieF) had been involved with Halloweenforum.com but left it to start the Unpleasant Street forum that eventually became Hauntforum.com. Back when he was still actively involved, there was a real feel of “home” about the site quite different (in my opinion) from that on Halloweenforum.com, partly because Hauntforum.com was smaller, which meant members got to know each other well and threads didn’t get buried two days after they were posted. ZF eventually elected to sell the site a few years ago because he no longer had the time or energy to keep up with it. Halloweenforum.com had already been purchased by VS by the time he decided to sell. Hauntforum was updated to the new platform fairly recently, which is why the two sites are visually similar now. The subforums are not organized the same way and I personally like the way they are set up here better.

A number of folks have accounts on both sites. I’ve never had any interest in belonging to Halloweenforum.com; Spooky1 has an account there but rarely logs in.

Reactions: Spooky1

·
Registered
663 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I am active on both sites and there are quite a few of us that are. Totally agree that there is less traffic here so as was mentioned, things don’t get lost as quickly. This site is also more technical in my opinion. If I have a mechanical issue, I only post it here and someone will absolutely jump in to help. I love these folks! The haunters are great on both sites and I’ve made wonderful friends that have each other’s backs. Agree with RoxyBlue and I also prefer them separate because they do seem to cater to different areas. I don’t agree that this site is DOA. I get emails with trending stuff from HalloweenForum so I go out to see what’s up on topics that interest me as do others which drives up posts hence it feels more active. Here is a traffic datapoint though. I recently posted about giving away a free inflatable motor on both sites, they have each had about the same number of views interestingly enough but there was an encouraging comment on it here whereas I got lost in the traffic there. (it’s still available BTW ha ha).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I seriously doubt the two sites will ever be merged because that would mean one less site for which Vertical Scope could sell ad space.

As I recall, the original founder of this site (ZombieF) had been involved with Halloweenforum.com but left it to start the Unpleasant Street forum that eventually became Hauntforum.com. Back when he was still actively involved, there was a real feel of “home” about the site quite different (in my opinion) from that on Halloweenforum.com, partly because Hauntforum.com was smaller, which meant members got to know each other well and threads didn’t get buried two days after they were posted. ZF eventually elected to sell the site a few years ago because he no longer had the time or energy to keep up with it. Halloweenforum.com had already been purchased by VS by the time he decided to sell. Hauntforum was updated to the new platform fairly recently, which is why the two sites are visually similar now. The subforums are not organized the same way and I personally like the way they are set up here better.

A number of folks have accounts on both sites. I’ve never had any interest in belonging to Halloweenforum.com; Spooky1 has an account there but rarely logs in.
Thanks for the history lesson, Roxy. It sounds like there is some nuance that's worth holding on to. I've created accounts on both sites now so I'll just get to enjoy both experiences! 😁

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forum! I am active on both sites and there are quite a few of us that are. Totally agree that there is less traffic here so as was mentioned, things don’t get lost as quickly. This site is also more technical in my opinion. If I have a mechanical issue, I only post it here and someone will absolutely jump in to help. I love these folks! The haunters are great on both sites and I’ve made wonderful friends that have each other’s backs. Agree with RoxyBlue and I also prefer them separate because they do seem to cater to different areas. I don’t agree that this site is DOA. I get emails with trending stuff from HalloweenForum so I go out to see what’s up on topics that interest me as does others which drives up posts hence it feels more active. Here is a traffic datapoint though. I recently posted about giving away a free inflatable motor on both sites, they have both had about the same number of views interestingly enough but there was an encouraging comment on it here whereas I got lost in the traffic there. (It’s still available BTW ha ha).
I'm definitely more interested in haunt mechanics and techniques right now so that appeals to me but I also am just a Halloween fan all around. I will say it does sound helpful to have a place where posts are seen and questions actually get answered. That's invaluable for a relative newb like me! Thanks for the input and the welcome!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Atticus Finch, sorry if I made it sound like you wouldn't get an answer over there. People jump in to help in both places but you can get lost in the volume at times over there. Most of my props are handmade and if it wasn't for the wonderful people on these 2 sites who so openly share their expertise, I would still be decorating with an inflatable, a giant orange tarp over a rock the size of a smart car and a couple pumpkins. So I guess I can hold everyone responsible for filling up an entire garage with all this stuff? Ha ha!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Atticus Finch, sorry if I made it sound like you wouldn't get an answer over there. People jump in to help in both places but you can get lost in the volume at times over there. Most of my props are handmade and if it wasn't for the wonderful people on these 2 sites who so openly share their expertise, I would still be decorating with an inflatable, a giant orange tarp over a rock the size of a smart car and a couple pumpkins. So I guess I can hold everyone responsible for filling up an entire garage with all this stuff? Ha ha!
I didn't really take it that way. What I meant was in comparison to some other sites I've used prior to joining either of these forums. I'll take the help from wherever I can get it! 😁

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm on both and this one is more tuned to what I like, building and creating haunts. The other is cool for general Halloween stuff. I think having them separate is exactly what they should do. Keep the Haunt building community here and the general enthusiast there.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm also on both, I agree as abiove this site is more technical and categoires (subforums are more setup to reflect that) instead of just more of a generic subforum, where Halloween forum is more general in nature. There is always people that will be on one and not the other for different reasons and dead set on their reasons. Seen this in a car specialty forum I was in, most wouldn't post on the one which was the original club one, the other one was smaller, and more like family members also a lot less drama.

·
Panic time is here!
3,826 Posts
I used to be on the other forum, but ask that my account be deleted because I rarely used it. I didn't like how things were lumped together at the time. I like this forum, but most of the people I got to know in Texas no longer use it. I am now in California, and that make-n-take group no longer uses this forum. I rarely build a prop or finish one, so I don't get on here much any more.

·
Humanitarian of the Year
4,269 Posts
I used to be on the other forum, but ask that my account be deleted because I rarely used it. I didn't like how things were lumped together at the time. I like this forum, but most of the people I got to know in Texas no longer use it. I am now in California, and that make-n-take group no longer uses this forum. I rarely build a prop or finish one, so I don't get on here much any more.
Damn, when did you move to Cali and where at?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts