Haunt Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Honestly, I was so blown away by how cool this is that I didn't pay much attention to his shoes but now that you mention it, hmmm.... they are on the wrong feet and a bit small. I did think it was interesting to have "blue suede shoes" on it too. I did think about Elvis for a sec too but then went back to just lovin the whole setup. It stands up so beautifully and it just doesn't look like it should.

The new shoes will work much better.

·
Super Moderator
64,334 Posts
I would have put money on Sickie Ickie being the first to make the cross-dressing comment ha, ha. Way to beat him to it RoxyBlue!
LOL, Daphne, I guess I've been hanging around this forum too much:D

Maybe Sickie will say something about the small feet:googly:

Every time I look at this prop, I have to smile. He's great!

·
Registered
260 Posts
How simple yet so completely brilliant! :D

This is one of those "duh, why didn't I ever think of that?" sort of props. Well done!

I hope you won't mind if we all lovingly rip off your idea now.

·
Terrible Peril
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

I found that my hinges needed another set screw to keep them from rotating out of square...
So I drilled a new hole, and zipped in another deck screw

·
Terrible Peril
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

Here are his new shoes and his shoe inserts (3/4" plywood)

Turtle....this is how you screw on a shoe...

With his new bigger heaver shoes, he is much more stable on his feet ...You can see that he has most of his weight on his right foot

All dressed up and no place to go...until October 31st.....Got a great compliment from the dog.... When she saw this guy standing out in the yard, she barked at him for 10 minutes, with the hair raised on the back of her neck. Then she came to find me so I could check out the intruder.

Just for fun....

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
I'm thinking carriage bolts would help keep those hinges more secure. They have a square shaft directly under the head.

·
Super Moderator
64,334 Posts
He's just fantastic, beelce! And I'm still laughing about the dog running to you to check out the intruder:D

·
Registered
751 Posts
Wow, Beelce, this is awesome. You should sell them! When I first saw this it reminded me of Pinocchio, them when I saw it with the suit on, I was reminded of David Byrne from the Talking Heads with the big suit on in the video, LOL.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
looks great...
I like the stance
nice touch up on the skull ..LOL

when did you get another dog?

·
Terrible Peril
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
She is a neighborhood dog Lilly....Very sweet and spends about 80% of her time here at my place. She hates the meter guy and the fed-ex people, but loves the kids and running through the woods.... She grew up here playing with old Jack....she helped me bury him, and she decided to stay near us. Her owners live 3 houses down from us, and that's where she eats everyday, but from sunrise till late at night she lives in our yard. Her name in Nala....a small mixed yellow Lab.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Thats cool..
============
Are you using the clothes you have on your guy there ...
wasn't that your costume, for a party you went to?
It looks similar.

·
Terrible Peril
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Here are some new pics.....

I picked up a thin long sleeve tee shirt and paints at Goodwill ($6)

I cut the jammies into arm and leg lengths. Using regular thumb tacks, I tacked one end to the frame. Then I used shipping peanuts to "sculpt" out the rough shape of the various muscles.

Now the clothes won't look so baggy

The cool thing about this technique is that I can add or subtract foam by popping out a few tacks making the adjustment and tacking it closed again. Also it is easy to move the foam around inside of the "bags" to make it look better.

·
Super Moderator
64,334 Posts
That stance is so "Ninja Werewolf":D

This guy just makes me smile (which is probably not the effect you were going for:)).

·
In Remembrance
7,546 Posts
I just found this thread. That is an amazing bit of work. Not cheap, but built to last for a good number of seasons. And by the way, you do a great job with the photos also. Every thing easily seen with good close ups of the joints. Nicely done.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Although nice , AND expensive :eekin: ... little suggestion . That wood is gonna get wet , and STAY wet under those clothes and with that stuffing . You might want to paint/stain/varnish/seal your wood so there is no rot and not mold up and stink after you put it away for the next season , otherwise ... you might have to redo a lot due to mold and possible wood rot.
Nice how-to , but my preference for builds will still be PVC and CPVC with sheeting for girth , due to its cheapness , flexablity and longevity and no rot/mold buildup :)

·
Terrible Peril
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thanks for the advice TB, but If you look, I used TREATED wood...This stuff will last continuously outdoors for 20 -30 years ....I bring my props in after the season is over, so they are not outside in the rain for more than 2 weeks, and they stay nice and dry in storage....I have used pvc and cpvc on my projects as well, they are easy to use and light weight, but they do not have the strength I need for some projects....For instance, My 10' tall REAPER (used 1" PVC) could not hold up his small faux flame cauldron for one night. The PVC just bent down under the weight. So I re-built him with 2"x2" treated wood, and he can hold anything I put in his arms for weeks if needed.
The articulated form in this thread can hold a real chainsaw, (if he is balanced correctly).
So for this type of project I will use the material I can rely on....wood

41 - 60 of 73 Posts