Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been just about bursting with anticipation because I am going to visit family and leave Wednesday night for a week in Michigan. Then tonight after supper we get a call from my mom. My step-dad had a massive heart attack today. And he died.

I can't believe it. I am spinning with despair. And my head is splitting from phone calls and now attempting to coordinate my husband and son and daughter trying to go. Add that to a half-hour 3 way call through the army reserves and Red Cross trying to reach our son in Iraq. He still hasn't called back, but it is also a 7-8 hour time difference.

I just had to tell someone, thanks for listening.
Val

·
Registered
375 Posts
Val I am so sorry to hear about your step dad. Thank you so much for letting us know. Hey we are your friends and we all pull together when something like this happens for good or bad. I hope you can get through to them, the red cross and others to get your son home. We are all sending our heart felt prayers your way. Sounds like you will be traveling Val so please be careful and just try to feel our hugs round you. Give your Mom a hug too from your Haunting family. Wormy

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Please know that you are in our thoughts and in our prayers, and we're here to listen if you need someone to talk to.

·
DeceptiProp
5,851 Posts
I am sorry for you loss. Ironically on this day, last year my mother passed away. I would say like most that it gets better, but I have not gotten to that point yet. But I do hear you and stand beside you in this time of your loss.

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,769 Posts
IshWitch - I very sorry to hear that. My prayers are with you and your family at this time.

·
She looks so normal
21,274 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. The Red Cross was able to help get ahold of my husband when his father died. They know what to do to help you. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Val,
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I just lost my mom Dec. 29th after a 9 month battle with leukemia & I know what you are going through. May God bless you and comfort you & your family & especially your mom during this time. I have added you & your family to our prayer list. Just know that we all are thinking of you.

·
Old Bat
2,823 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope that you hear from your son soon, and that your family receives lots of comfort and support.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss Val... be careful in your travels
our prayers are with you and your family

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everyone! Your thoughts and prayers are very very appreciated!

I got back Thursday, but being that we all got sick and I am just getting over it, I have been just relaxing and doing little more than watch tv.

Our son got to come! Since his area has been very quiet they let him have a leave. It was so good to see him! I think it did a lot of good for my mom to see him too! He was her first grandchild and she still dotes on him like he's 3 sometimes. He also had the good news that they will be coming back the end of June! That was definitely a bright spot in such a sad situation.

I did think that my mom was doing well. I know it was a loss, but at the same time a relief. My step-dad had a stroke about 4 years ago so she has had to take quite a bit of care of him. He could get around well enough, but there was still a lot she had to do. I know it weighed very heavy on her his potential need for a nursing home. She was starting to have a hard time with him and he was refusing to bathe and stuff.

She was getting him to the car for a dr's appt and he collapsed on the porch. She couldn't get him back up and called the neighbor boys to help but he had stopped breathing. She called 911 and started cpr. My poor mom, with 2 replaced knees at 74 doing cpr. Good bless her. The EMS tried cpr for another 20 minutes before taking him but he never recovered. The dr at the hospital said it was a massive heart attack.

He was born in that farm house and he died there. I know that that is what he would've wanted and I am at peace with his passing.

But we all started coming down with the flu on Friday and it had most of us pretty sick for the funeral. My mom was in no condition to get sick and ended up dehydrated. After they dropped me off at the airport Thurs. my sis took her to the dr. and she ended up in the ER for some IV fluids. She is better today. She got so sick that I was scared to leave! I was really worried. I'm so relieved now, and better myself, that I am feeling comfortable in her being okay.

Again, I want to thank you all, it really means a lot to me! After this whole deal I really know I have wonderful friends!
^S^
Val

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Heyya Val. I'm glad your son was able to be there with the family. It's not unusual to be sick after a traumatic event due to stress lowering the body's immune system. Take care and yes, you do have many many friends here. :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts