Haunt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm am rebuilding my witch along the lines of the legendary Cauldron Creep. Her head was a barber-school mannequin head that was very static, and, frankly, dull.

I got the body mechanisms done, will post a YouTube link shortly, but here are a couple of pics of her head.

I took one of my paper mache skulls and shaped her features with Crayola Air-Dry Clay. Which is, of course, cracking something fierce on top of the paper mache...

I think I can hold it together with a coating of Elmer's white glue and Drylok so that she will last through Halloween, but long term, I am beginning to have my doubts.

I might be able to scrape up enough cash to buy some silicone to mold a new head off of this one this winter.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the clay I used on Witch Hazel's new head isn't all that it's cracked up to be...

I discovered, to my horror, that if this clay is too watered down or just too thin in general, that it will fissure if allowed to dry unevenly. And since the base is paper mache and not exactly a uniform shape, that's exactly what it did.

I'm attempting a repair by dousing all the cracks and, indeed, the entire surface with white glue. Fortunately, with all the paper maching I've been doing, there is plenty on hand. I buy this stuff by the gallon, literally.

It looks like it's holding up pretty good after the glue dried and I will be attempting to patch up some of the worse cracks with more mud.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the white glue is holding. I'm right now cursing myself for not building on the neck when I did this. I will probably have to resort to a quick paper mache job so I can get her out and about soon...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts