Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
behind the spider

Hey Village, I already told you on the other forum, but that spider is ridiculously awesome. Such a unique contraption yet so simple in some ways. I like what you did with the wiper motor and the casters to animate the legs. Knowing me, I would've had all 8 legs hooked up to cyls. And the head lifter is great as well.

Keep it up!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
My first concept was to just run an air cylinder to every leg and then let the Key Banger control them... But I got greedy with the Banger's channels and decided not to waste them by operating legs.:zombie:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I know this was posted a while ago but this is an awesome project, thanks for sharing your knowledge of this prop for all to see.
Great, now I have another prop to build! (That's a good thing)

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
I have this bookmarked from way back, in order to re-make your terrific idea much cheaper when I have the time. :D

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Wow!! That is just CRAZY awesome! I downloaded that vid... daresay I'll be watching it closely a few more times LOL!! You are the ToyMaestro!

·
Registered
147 Posts
one word....AWESOME!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm thinking of having one corner of my haunt with a giant spider like that, but just with the legs moving. On a giant web, and a "body" covered in web material moving and shaking with a shiatsu massager inside. Can't wait to get started. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I have studied this spider for a long time! Everytime I see that thing move it just amazes me! There is absolutely no way I will ever be able to do what Village Haunt did but I had a similar idea with regards to what maureenpr wanted to do.

I would like to have a giant web that attaches from some trees to the ground. The idea would be to mount a big spider on a frame where it is sitting at maybe a 30-45 degree angle and appears to be on the web. The only thing that would move would be it's legs. I would like to perhaps have a second one on the ground that moves its legs and raises it's head like Village Haunt's.

Are there any close-up shots of the mechanism for the legs? I am not sure I understand exactly how it is hooked up and wasn't sure how the legs were attached. Would this only require some hardware and a wiper motor wired to AC and secondly, would that create unacceptable strain on the motor since the apparatus would be at an angle and not horizontal? I was thinking that perhaps strong wire through flexible tubing might be lighter than PVC for the legs with "leg warmers" made of yarn unless someone has a lighter/simpler leg idea.

Before you say it is as easy as hooking up a FCG, I ran out of time and bought one from Xtreme last year so I haven't built one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
850 Posts
Are there any close-up shots of the mechanism for the legs? I am not sure I understand exactly how it is hooked up and wasn't sure how the legs were attached.
All the mechanism for the legs are a simple cam see here: http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/mechanisms/pages/irregular.html
Would this only require some hardware and a wiper motor wired to AC
Wiper motors operate on 12Volt DC
would that create unacceptable strain on the motor since the apparatus would be at an angle and not horizontal?
No any more than if it was mounted horizontally the weight of the legs are being counter balanced by the bungee cord
I was thinking that perhaps strong wire through flexible tubing might be lighter than PVC for the legs with "leg warmers" made of yarn unless someone has a lighter/simpler leg idea.
You could wrap the wire in foam to bulk it up but I think the flexable tubing would weigh about the same as the pvc

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks for the link and the answers! Building anything mechanical isn't one of my strong skills!

I hadn't thought about the bungee countering it to that extent so that is good, I was concerned it would burn the motor up.

All these projects I've looked at must be running together, I am going to have to watch these videos again. For some reason, I had in my head there were issues with the weight and PVC. Thanks for clarifying. I'm all for the simplest way to go.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I really hate spiders but I love this one,,
and this video is great. Love the special effects on your change ...cool

·
Registered
625 Posts
It is an amazing prop isn't it? I bet Village Haunt could sell them by the truck loads!

Speaking of awesome props, your Skulltronix is simply incredible as well!

·
Registered
134 Posts
One of thee best props I've ever seen. And I love the fact that your wife knitted the leg/scarves. Too cute.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts