Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started a new tombstone prop. Just in case anyone wants to use the sketch, click here.

Apologies...I can't take any photos, I don't have my camera available right now. But I'm very happy with the way it's shaping up.

This tombstone isn't the main prop..it's a backdrop to a talking female ground breaker that I'm working on. I've programmed specific songs for her to sing. And I'm accessorizing with a few extras. Unless I change my thought pattern, she'll be positioned as if she's chugging down a bottle of poison. And singing a few chosen ballads of heartache.

·
Batty Beautiful
5,633 Posts
wow. very interesting. im assuming she's gonna be an animated ground breaker? very nice idea! love it! can't wait to see the finished product!

·
Super Moderator
64,104 Posts
Very clever idea! What songs will this forlorn lass be singing?

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very clever idea! What songs will this forlorn lass be singing?
If it all comes out properly...[pun intended].....she will sit next to a pottery wheel. There will also be some roses and some type heart displayed. Whether that ends up in her chest or in a funeral type display, I'm not sure. The accessories will be remotely accessed to move or be lit up according to the song.

Song list probably will include the following songs. I have a few of these already programmed. Suggestions welcome but ..must be female and it should have something subtle to do with dismemberment, ghosts, lost/dead love, etc. For example..when she sings Piece of My Heart..I want to light up a beating heart.

In order of preference...

Piece of My Heart (Beverly Knight)
Unchained Melody (Ryan Marissa)
LeAnne Rhimes (Without You)
LeAnne Rhimes (I Fall To Pieces)
LeAnne Rhimes (Amazing Grace)
Roxette (Listen to Your Heart)
LeAnne Rhimes (Some Say Love)

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it going to be a pepper's ghost effct?
No..but that's a very interesting thought. I would probably have approached it a little differently. But now you have me wondering what I would have done if she were seen as a reflection.

Here are some photos of the tombstone. I'm not sure what the base will look like. The stone will guide me to that after it's painted. Unfortunately, it will probably end up quite a bit bigger than the figure, but I don't care. (In one of the photos you can see my truck tire in the back.)

Also...I accidently let glue seep down it. That shouldn't matter after it's painted. (I'm still gluing layers together and thus the outline isn't cut yet.)

·
Super Moderator
64,104 Posts
The carving is beautiful, DL.

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you.

(another song possibility: Jewel - Who Will Save Your Soul)

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now it's time to mess it up.

Last year one of my nieces moved in while job hunting. She loved the thought of being in the U.S. Army. Wanting the bedroom to feel a bit more like hers, she asked if she could paint it. I said okay. We went down and picked up a few gallons of army green and camo colors.

Today she is in the Army....graduated from boot camp.... and I still have the paint. Thus...a little moss colored army green in honor of our military....

·
Director of Ambiance
1,816 Posts
Wow-O, Wow, am I ever loving this thread, DL.... Love the thickness of the stone (which is saying a lot in Texas, right?) and the carving is making me so jealous I have been searching new patterns all night.... Cannot WAIT to see it progress... and you and HB had BETTER be bringing the stones to the make/take this weekend, so I can touch them in person!

Thanks so much for letting us follow - very inspirational! :D

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow-O, Wow, am I ever loving this thread, DL.... Love the thickness of the stone (which is saying a lot in Texas, right?) and the carving is making me so jealous I have been searching new patterns all night.... Cannot WAIT to see it progress... and you and HB had BETTER be bringing the stones to the make/take this weekend, so I can touch them in person!

Thanks so much for letting us follow - very inspirational! :D
I'm just happy anyone reads the thread.

My stone is loosely based on a real stone. I was searching tombstone pictures, looking for something with flowers. I also thought the figure might sing House of the Rising Sun - Sinead O'connor's version. So the image at the top of my stone is a flower, but it's symbolizing a rising sun.

Ha ha. This didn't ever have to make sense to anyone but me.

Here's the original stone.

I took a few more photos of the next coat. But the camera flash is making this stone look wrong. On the photo I see two distinct color layers. In person, it's very mossy and green. I'll wait for some daylight.

So far, my objective is to cover the stone - eliminating any pink. And get the depths with a blend of the darkest colors I plan to use. (This one will not have black letters.)

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,067 Posts
WOW ... that is looking amazing! What did you use to carve the stone? I am getting ready to do my haunt poem sign and the thought of carving it out with an hot knife is getting to me :(

·
Registered
959 Posts
Looking really good! Do you use anything specific to get the paint into the narrow script writing? I've tried everything from the smallest paint brush I can find to q-tips but nothing seems to work or fit very well.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

·
Super Moderator
64,104 Posts
Beautiful even at the "in progress" stage, DL.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts