Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since theres a topic about pacing, and the last scare seems to be the biggest thing you need to have in order to succeed in the haunt world. That's why I ask, what is truly the best/ most memorable last scare? I have one more sort of small room to work with and already have a t.v. room, chainsaw room, operation room and a fair amount of hallways. I can do anything in the last room and ask the haunt community, what shall I do?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well our final scare this year is our electric chair.
We have the whole electric chair set-up, and the strobes flash and the siren goes off and the smoke pours out and all that good stuff.
Then our actor lies motionless in the chair so people think that was it.
Then he flips the switch and turns it all on again, but he flips another switch that turns on another strobe facing him and he LUNGES (and i mean LUNGES) out of the chair at the group.
It's actually an extremely great scare.
Hopefully we'll have a video of it this year. ;D

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is an animatronic electrocution gag similar to what you do with an animatronic victim that flies out of the chair and slams into plexiglass in front of the patrons. Of course it's several thousand dollars too!!

Two years ago a guy at our haunt fired up the old chainsaw in the last area and chased the patrons out the door. Last year wasn't quite so dramatic but occassionally actors would silently follow a group clear out to the parking lot. And that was while wearing the cheesy 'Scream' costume from Walmart! Still freaked some people out.

Since we use the same setup every year people assume they are safe once they make it out the back door. We have plenty of room to set-up a scare there BUT patrons arriving at our haunt might be able to see the scare before they go through.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We've done the chainsaw thing at the end for several years which is a real adrenaline rush for the end. This year, we're having our Hellevator at the end. We live in a small town so several years we've had an actor go out and hide in someone's backseat (as no one locks their cars) and then jump up before they start the car. Had 2 teenage boys nearly pee themselves!! It was awesome and still makes me crack up whenever I think about it.:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love the chainsaw end but there is a way to put a spin on that. Have what seems to be a safe area. The end of the haunt...well as the guests think it is. Where they exit and start talking about how they weren't scared at all. Maybe you have a bowl of candy and a thank you sign. Then have the lights go dark, chainsaw start up, and strobe light come on. Hit 'em when they think they're safe. haha.

I'm actually not a big fan of chasing the patrons back outside because then everyone else knows exactly what to expect at the end. This works fine in a large haunt where you exit in a different place than you enter but that's not usually the case on the small scale.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Everyone nailed it - CHAINSAW
It's even OK if everyone knows it's coming, they still don't know when AND it builds up suspense.

Circular Saw? What do you do, just remove the blade? I like the idea of not having to start a gas motor, but then again, I'm not sure if a circular saw has the same fear factor as a good ole chainsaw.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm actually not a big fan of chasing the patrons back outside because then everyone else knows exactly what to expect at the end. This works fine in a large haunt where you exit in a different place than you enter but that's not usually the case on the small scale.
Yeah, but people completely forget about the chainsaw when they walk through the haunt.
I worked at a haunt in 2005 and they had a chainsaw and it got everyone!

Circular Saw? What do you do, just remove the blade? I like the idea of not having to start a gas motor, but then again, I'm not sure if a circular saw has the same fear factor as a good ole chainsaw.
Yeah just remove the blade and plug in.
And like you said, there's no gas motor so it's just "plug and play".
:p.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I dunno...a little cliche'....just a tad

You say you have a small room? and its the last room? Thats like a clean pallet...a fresh sheet of paper. That's like in school where everyone gets a sheet of blank paper and the teacher lets you draw anything you want.

For a great idea...(I know you have a some money to spend), go around to garage sales...look around at old furniture, old teddy bears, whatever....Give space to the ideas that come to you - let em grow....People will buy into it...trust me! Create the atmosphere you know what I'm saying....

I think a good scare would be to just fill this last room with just enough fog to where they can kind of see but they're still very insecure and feeling vulnerable...

....we as haunters inherently sense this and make our move.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Have a room with the President holding a Victory sign (You made it through the haunt, congrats) ...then have them take off their shoes and belts to go through security, which can be a guy with a chainsaw who is eating an apple. Its hard for people to run with their pants falling off and stubbing their toes on rocks. Stupid Leprechauns! I'm confused, what was the question? Is it Halloween yet.... I love the smell of fresh Latex in the morning.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Tonguesandwich, you're a riot!! I bet your wife gets on this forum and tells you what to write!! Hahahahaha!!

The chainsaw may be cliche, but it seems to work!! Freaks out the little brats......(and some of the adults!!);) ;) This year we're going to have the cemetery partitioned off so you can't see it until you walk through. We'll have the chainsaw dude walking around in there. (Along with zombies and vampires & such!!)

·
Registered
47 Posts
The one I like best is the chalkboard. It reads "Was This Haunt Scary?" then two columns one "Yes". one "No". Some tick marks in each column and a piece of chalk tied to a string. When a patron goes to write on the board, it drops down (it's a drop panel in disguise) and a scary screamer jumps out at them.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The one I like best is the chalkboard. It reads "Was This Haunt Scary?" then two columns one "Yes". one "No". Some tick marks in each column and a piece of chalk tied to a string. When a patron goes to write on the board, it drops down (it's a drop panel in disguise) and a scary screamer jumps out at them.
LOL thats funny!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Ahh I like that one a ton!
I'm going to look into that next year!
:D.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.