Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I mean about the title is, you see a monster on screen and you go, "Wow! That's the coolest looking thing I ever saw!" I'm sure we all have many choices, but I want everyone to pick only one that you think stands out from the rest. Here would be my choice:

The Aliens from Alien and its subsequent sequels. They are literally paintings come to life. The brainchild of artist H.R. Giger, these things seem to be a cross of dinosaurs, machines, scorpions, insects and sharks with the humanoid factor thrown in for good measure. Vicious, hostile, deadly these things seem incapable, short of a Thermonuclear blast, to be destroyed as a collective, and are some of the best looking monsters to come from the imagination of man ever.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I know this is old, but I thought I'd dig it up.
It would be too obvious for me to pick a version of Jason here, so instead I'll throw the Predator into the mix. :cool:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Karloff's Frankenstein's Monster. You know me - a "Frankenstein" man all the way! Never has any on-screen monster elicited more pity, pathos and horror. Karloff is the man, Frankenstein is the monster!

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Well, I'll pick a version of Jason...

Jason from Part VII. Dangling chains and all rotted. He looks pretty awesome in this outing.

And I'll also pick the scarecrow version of The Creeper from Jeepers Creepers. That thing looked totally badass until it takes off its disguise and looks like Predator ripoff.

·
Banned
376 Posts
I think this still counts, Freddy Krueger. I've never been as big a fan of his as I am of Jason. But Jason's just got a hockey mask and it's always what he's carrying that completes him, whereas the whole look of Freddy Krueger was designed to have an effect on the viewer. To me, he's head to toe a group of interesting components put together and he's very cool-looking. Now, I'm thinking part 3 or 5 has him truly looking his best. That's what I think.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I might be alone in this one (what else is new) but my favorite Freddy was from New Nightmare. The boots and trenchcoat were pretty sinister.

·
Banned
376 Posts
I think Freddy looked good in most of his movies, except New Nightmare. But that movie seems to have a lot more fans than Nightmares 4-6, so whatever, I might be more alone than you are in this. Skintight leather pants? What, is he supposed to be a rockstar in that movie? Then of course I thought his new glove looked more like a bunch of fossils, in keeping with the dinosaur theme of the movie, with scalpels tied onto his Lord Zedd hand with medical tubes. Interesting... in that "what were they thinking?" sense.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dougspaulding said:
Freddy's a dork!
He wasn't to begin with. But with each subsequent film in the series, he became more so. Freddy's had his day, but there isn't ANYTHING in this day and age to replace him, Jason, The Shape, Leatherface or any other modern day film monster. For this reason, we're stuck with multi-sequels and remakes that there is no reason for. No originality.

·
Banned
376 Posts
Sinister said:
dougspaulding said:
Freddy's a dork!
He wasn't to begin with. But with each subsequent film in the series, he became more so. Freddy's had his day, but there isn't ANYTHING in this day and age to replace him...
I'm not exactly sure what you mean because Freddy is still basically alive within the new Freddy v Jason franchise, at least I do expect there'll be a sequel. Things always change though I'm sure they won't change back to the era of films from the very late 70s till the very early 90s. When it comes to the disappointment of today's films all I have to say is, what about the people who were big fans of the monster movies of the 30s-50s? I bet most of them think the films of Freddy/Jason/Michael/Chucky/Leatherface/Pinhead are ridiculous and/or have nothing to offer them.

Freddy is both not a dork and the ultimate dork.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Doctorthingit said:
...what about the people who were big fans of the monster movies of the 30s-50s? I bet most of them think the films of Freddy/Jason/Michael/Chucky/Leatherface/Pinhead are ridiculous and/or have nothing to offer them.
As a fan of the '30s - '50s monster movies, I mostly concur with your statement (although I did love "Halloween").

·
Banned
376 Posts
I was thinking more old-timer, but I suppose there are some younger people (I have no idea how old you are, Doug) who could still have grown up on Universal monsters.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Even though I was a child of the 80's, I still got a healthy dose of the Universal and Hammer monsters. In the early 80's, we still had the Creature Double Feature on UHF Channel 56, so I got a big helping of monster movies every Saturday afternoon right up until they cancelled it.

I can even remember one channel showed "The Creature From the Black Lagoon" in 3D and when you bought your groceries, you got a free pair of 3D glasses with your order so you could watch the movie in all its "3D" glory. Not that that movie was originally in 3D, but it was a gimmick they tried to get people to watch.

I also of course grew up on the icons of the time like Freddy, Jason, Myers, Chucky and co.

I have a great appreciation for horror both old and new.

·
Banned
376 Posts
I was born in the 80s but I was really a child of the 90s. I was of the video rental age. The kids that rented almost every weekend. And that was the time when I think video stores actually had the classic monster horror movies. I was more interested in seeing edgy or independent films, which is of course how I first got into horror. Though my exposure really started with Cinemax, rental is where it truly flourished.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Doctorthingit said:
...rental is where it truly flourished.
Ah, rentals. Sinister, remember all those rentals back in the eighties at my place of such highbrow fare as "I Spit on Your Grave" and the like, and my father coming in saying "what you boys watchin?" after which a look of dissatisfaction would appear on his face, and he'd walk out!

For the good old days.

·
Banned
376 Posts
I hate my father's taste in movies. He's not a horror fan.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rocky said:
not Hammer's Frankenstein, hell no!
You didn't like Christopher lee's portrayal in the great The Curse of Frankenstein? Granted, it's not as "influential" as Karloff's portrayal of the monster, but it's still a damn fine showing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts