Haunt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing some cleaning in the garage yesterday and and this sucker coming crawing up the wall. I've seen Black Widows before in my home state of VA but, I've been living here in UT. for seven years now and this is the first, and largest one, I've ever see!

It was at least the size of a half-dollar if not bigger. I should have placed something beside it to give you an idea of it size but, I was getting that close to it. I hate spiders and this one gave me the creeps.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
Keep your eye peeled. Eggs of widow spiders are laid in an egg sack, attached to the web of the mother. The sack is pear shaped, and creamy yellow, light gray, or light brown in color. About 200 eggs may be laid in an egg sack and females may produce several egg sacks if conditions are favorable. :(

·
Banned
764 Posts
I live in the south myself and have had my share of runins with those suckers .......but have not seen a black widow that size before but i have seen solid black spiders like that much smaller then that but bigger then a black widow without the hour glass.....wondering if thats what you had.....ive heard them called barn spiders what ever that means. Just a thought.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I went to college in Utah and had a black widow encounter myself. Sitting on my bed writing a letter I noticed one crawling up my leg. I brushed it off and captured it in a jar. My roommate found a large one in a wood pile and we put it in the jar too. The next morning the smaller one had been wrapped up. We thought that was the end of that until the next morning when the roles had been reversed with the little one having wrapped up the big one. The next day both were free and had retreated to separate corners no longer attempting to do battle.

I found one here in Sacramento doing yard work yesterday too. It made me think of a quote from an Australian naturalist who commented how much more prevelant the black widow is in the U.S. than its Australian sister the redback spider is.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
yes in the dark
i hope you captured it or something ..you don't want to get bit by that sucker and i would search for the sack if any..
I don't mind doing spider stuff for props but real ones suck..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes in the dark
i hope you captured it or something ..you don't want to get bit by that sucker and i would search for the sack if any..
I don't mind doing spider stuff for props but real ones suck..
O'no kryptonoff it was a widow for sure, big red hour-glass and all.

Lilly, it ended it's life as a big wet spot on the wall, no catch and release for this one. :eek:

Sickie, I'm going sack and widow hunting this weekend after I visit home depot for come cem weapons. :ninja:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts