Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used black light flood lights ? they are 75 watts. do they light up good , how far away can you set them from objects for good lighting?

·
Registered
111 Posts
ya the fat bulb in the flood light sucks, your way excited when you plug it in and then its just like nicole said theres a purple light bulb.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok cool thanks for the info

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Thank god you asked that ? Lilly. I just purchased 10 fo them for 5 bucks each. They are sooo going back. I had heard that if you use a blue light or green it works much better, any thoughts on that one guys. If i used a plain one and just colored it blue do you think that would work???

·
Registered
820 Posts
5 bucks each? you got riiped off bad! some people......

turtle that makes no sense to me, those would only produce blues and greens in the visible spectrum. for real blacklight you need a fluorsecent bulb which will give off non visible light in the ultraviolet area of the spectrum

and painting lightbulbs makes for an easy fire

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are talking flood lights right turtle? just buy the colored ones dont paint them, they shine whatever color the lense is, and yes u can use those for lighting instead of blacklight just gives different effect. mix or match.

I guess i will be going with the standard blackilght tube theory if i go that route.

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
Yeah, i am talking about "blacklights" I got them at Factory Card Outlet. They are supposedly blacklight floods. I was trying to get a larger area so i went for the floodlight, after seeing this ill just return the ones i have and go get blue or green colored floods. I didnt check to see if it was true UV reflective so ill never know. Thanks again for helping me out.

·
Registered
738 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Has anyone ever used black light flood lights ? they are 75 watts. do they light up good , how far away can you set them from objects for good lighting?
WWAAYY sucky. Hate them. They get very hot, and do not work.

Only buy true BLB(blacklight blue) Blacklites. These dark blue bulbs have a filter built in to them that will prevent most of the white light from being transmitted.

The past season we bought compact flourescent BLB blacklites, they are spiral in shape. They work great, and best of all you can use them in standard lite sockets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Day late...dollar short

I wish I had seen this forum sooner. I got taken for $5.99 x 2 for cheap, crappy "blacklight" floods. All I got were purple bulbs, like the above posters said. Looks like I'm going shopping again.
Anybody use the free standing 48" flourescent blacklights that Spirit Store sells? They look pretty decent..

My first post! Waaa-Hooo!:jol:
~K

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought a black fixture at Halloween 2 years ago with dual 48" flourescent tubes (and included 2 light duty chains for hanging). I bought it for less than $20 at Big Lots It has great output! The Big Lots store around here closed last fall...but I should have bought more.

·
Registered
119 Posts
when you guys say flouresent lights, do you mean like what they have in the store (in the ceiling) Just those regular long white flouresent bulbs?

·
Registered
89 Posts
ScarySuzie
The lights they are talking about work under the same principle as the long white ones EXCEPT there is no flourescent coating on the inside & they are often colored purple. There are also "compact Flourescent" blacklites they are a version of the regular blacklite flourescent bulb that is wound around itself.

what we mean by a "Blacklight" is a light source that emits primarily UltraVoilet light.

The reason Incandescent BL bulbs suck so hard it that they are full spectrum light sources that have been filtered to block wavelenghts outside of the ultravoilet. That means up to 95% of the light energy produced is blocked. It also means that all that blocked light energy has to go somewhere & transforms into HEAT energy. That's why Incandescents run so hot.

Flourescent bulbs on the other hand work by arcing electricity through a reactive gas. When the gas is excited by the arc it emits UV light. A normal light up your office flourescent has a coating on the inside of the glass that Flouresces under UV light & that gives off the visible light that is seen. To make a flourescent BL they leave out the floruescant coating & paint it purple (because that's what people ecpect to see and it helps filter the small portion that falls outside the UV bandwith). So you can see rather than plocking 90% of the light out put yu get like 90% throughput with flourescents. They work better & run much cooler (not cold mind you).

There are proffesional BL spots but they actually work like the Flourescent variety. Oh & if you go googling for BL spots be careful; there are some spots that work Beyond the SAFE frequencies & must be used with special eye protection. INTENSE UV light can blind before you realize what's happening.

Best solution for general Haunt use it to get the 4' Flourescent BL's for large areas & the CF BL's for smaller areas. Both will put out a Stunning amount of UV light if all you've ever used is the old screw-in incandescent bulbs. Le incandescent "BL" spots believe it or not to my experience are even worse than the 100 watt bulb variety.

so for UV out put it's like this (from low to high):
1 purple spotlights
2 Blacklight spotlights
3 blacklight bulb (100 watt inc.)
4 blacklight compact flourescent
5 4' blacklight flourescent
6 Profe$$ional $tage Lighting Apparatu$
7 Industrial UV emmitters (DANGEROUS!!!! blinding/3rd deg sunburns)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I picked up one of these last year for 69 bucks.

It is by far the best light I have, but two 48" bulbs in a shoplight work exceptionally well too. I am at a black light surplus now.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A compact fluorescent blacklight in a round aluminum reflector "clamp-light" or "brooder light" throws a surprisingly large amount of UV for a mere 13-15 watts. That is probably because the reflector concentrates all the light in a single direction.

Home Depot has the big 10-1/2 inch "brooder" reflectors available now for about 12 dollars each (bulb not included) as well as some smaller sizes ranging from5-10 dollars. I picked up three of these this Saturday. They are big and ugly, but they throw the black light where you need it, and hang off tree branches and the like with the greatest of ease.

·
Registered
74 Posts
A compact fluorescent blacklight in a round aluminum reflector "clamp-light" or "brooder light" throws a surprisingly large amount of UV for a mere 13-15 watts...
I was just going to post the same thing.

The neighbor kids and I made a specter for an upstairs window last night, and I had picked up 2 clamp-light reflectors for some 15W screw-in type fluorescent black lights, but after hooking it up, I realized we only needed one to make that sucker glow nice and bright. Just clamped one on the windowsill and you can see it clearly from the street.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts