Haunt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
A little bit bent...
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used one of the compact fluorescent black lights for an FCG? I have an 8" clamp light that I could use for this and was wondering whether the ghost gets good coverage from one of these lights. Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I suspect that you might not be impressed with one compact bulb (or even a couple). Compact fluorescent bulbs don't put out nearly as much UV power as a traditional blacklight, so they have to be pretty close to the target. I used one last year in the yard, and it was OK, but I only used it because I could weatherproof it easily.

For my FCG, I use 2 24" standard blacklights, and I think that I'd have needed 4 compact bulbs to equal the same amount of light. By the time you bought 3-4 compacts and the clamp-type fixtures to hold them, you could easily buy 1 or 2 traditional blacklights.

That said, if you have a place in which a traditional blacklight fixture won't work, the compacts in a clamp fixture may be the way to go.

HTH!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I made a light fixture out of a huge stainless mixing bowl and a black light ring fluorescent. It works okay, but I don't think it's as bright as when I had a standard long fluorescent bulb.

·
A little bit bent...
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll stick with the 24" tubes.

·
Registered
820 Posts
ive always had the best from the 24"...anything that has gone into a lightbulb socket has dissapointed me.

walmart, 10 bucks for a 24 incher+fixture!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts