Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Here's my biggest static prop of 2012. He was made with a PVC skeleton and paper mache. The head is an original sculpt using styrofoam and Apoxie. He was painted to look good in blacklight, which is how these photographs were taken.

His name is Berstuk (originally named 'Alex' by my kids) and he represents the evil forest-god in Wendish mythology. (it all fits in to my backstory)

Eyes are ping-pong balls with ultrabright blue LEDs behind them. You can see a hint of the twisted wood branch 'throne' behind him in this pic, but since it's not painted with UV paint, it doesn't show up well.

Has a coyote pelt, vine, and fake fur shoulder piece. Hard to see below that is leather chest-armor.

Tree stump is made with wooden wire spools and paper mache. Candles are PVC and hot-glue. Skulls are UV painted with black runes on top.

I took a normal zombie-baby and outfitted with a gown, baby gas mask, and LEDs.

This prop was featured in the last episode of Hauntcast.

I made a little tutorial on how I did the head. I did this a long time before I learned better techniques, so I tried to update it where ever possible.

http://bradblogspeed.com/homemade-demon-head

He can be seen in the haunt video, right near the beginning:

More on 2012's haunt here: http://bradblogspeed.com/halloween-2012

·
Super Moderator
64,110 Posts
Berstuk has "movie star" written all over him - really gorgeous!

·
Registered
278 Posts
amazing work, great details Im just blown away! Love the whole scene with the gas mask guy. Did you use HDR editing to get the photo to look how it does. Ive tried shooting in black light and my props are either too dark or almost washout.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
amazing work, great details Im just blown away! Love the whole scene with the gas mask guy. Did you use HDR editing to get the photo to look how it does. Ive tried shooting in black light and my props are either too dark or almost washout.
I always shoot in RAW but didn't have to do any real HDR editing, as far as I remember. Just tweaking the exposure etc like I would with any picture when importing to Photoshop.

The key was just in the way the pictures were taken. I put the camera on a tripod and did long exposures. Also, since I used VERY bright Wildfire UV paint the fluorescent quality stood up to the other coloured accent lights and eye-LEDs quite well, allowing for a fairly even exposure.

·
Clean "cut"
27,007 Posts
Your Berstuk is Awesome!!

·
Something Wicked
2,119 Posts
Very nicely done, and the vignette as a whole is just fantastic as others have pointed out! Love the black-light paint work too, perfect with the glowing eyes and all.

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
Very nicely done, and the vignette as a whole is just fantastic as others have pointed out! Love the black-light paint work too, perfect with the glowing eyes and all.
:jol:praise from Caesar! Bow down and be grateful Brad!.......Sawtooth is quite the master, one of my forum heroes, for skill and creative genius!:D (you're in great company):p

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow! This looks great! Not to reiterate what everyone else said either, but the whole set works together fantastically. Nice work!

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
That is way cool! I love it. Really nice layout and details. Black light displays are some of my favorite effects.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts