Haunt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
14,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Signatures: 80,831
Goal: 150,000
Deadline: 3-29-2006

Take Action

The largest commercial slaughter of marine mammals on the planet is set to begin again in Canada next month.

By the end of the hunt, more than 300,000 seals are expected to be clubbed or shot to death by fishermen who hunt seals off-season to pick up extra cash by selling their skins. Almost all of their victims will be babies -- some as young as 12 days old.

During a recent hunt, veterinarians who examined dead seals concluded that 42% of the seals examined had most likely been skinned while they were alive and still conscious.

Polls consistently show that most Canadians oppose the hunt, but still the Canadian government and fishing industry refuse to end it.

But there is new hope on the ice. Canada has a new Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, and a new party in power. With enough public support, they may consider ending this terrible hunt forever.

Sign this petition now and send it to anyone who cares about protecting the lives of Canada's seals.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Uh-ho... I'm in the middle of this without many facts... for those of you who don't know I am from Alantic Canada, where the hunts are. Now At this time I would like to point out that it is set in stone that these seals are not soposed to be killed satdisticly and cruly and the goverment would fine any hunter if they found them pulling that.

Also there are other laws protecting the baby seals, they are not suposed to be killed at all. Again don't forget there are people out there who don't give a damn and do it anyway.

Also take the time to look at this from a human perspective, there are towns on the east cost that do live and die by the fishing and seal indastrey. Families could end up broke.

I am not saying its a great thing to go out and kill all seals and its a great weekend hobbie. I'm pointing out that there are laws and it should be done the most humain way it can. I don't know all the facts on this but rember both side may go as far to lie.

-Clay

·
Banned
764 Posts
well ones things for sure if it was humane i think its different,.......dont get me wrong i cant hunt i cant shoot anything if i went hunting id be bringing things home for pets..... hell i save worms from ants .......but if we did not have hunters we would be over run ......maybe they will come up with a way to make the males sterile or somthing wont be soooo many and ...then its goverment to take charge and protect the ones out there so they dont get extinct......example deers i cant shoot a deer but if people didnt ...we would be over run .......only way i could shoot animal if i was starving to death ......shoot for fun or show i cant see at all...........only for survival this is just one of those topics that is bitter anyway you look at it ......

·
Registered
273 Posts
Well i think this topic is also somewhat misguided also. The seal hunt is part of the Inuit culture ( Canada's northerly aboriginal peoples) . After some french actress came into cnada demanding that this be stoped she had no idea what she was tlaking about or what she was doing!!!! You dont go to another country and demand the stop of a cultural tradition that has gone on for years and years!!!!! Big intrenational mistake. Also as mentioned above Canada is going through a problem with over fishing and the humane (please may i stress that canada does try to stop the inhumane killing) killing of these animals is simply another part of a larger plan to keep down the extinction of the cod and other fish that would complelty die out if the seals were able to continue breeding. Alot of species require the culling of there poulation and this is simply one that also has significant cultural background to it. For example we dont come to the France and tell them that eating froglegs is inhumane.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts