Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Player of Paste
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a project I've been working on since early February and just completed this week and while it's not specifically Halloween related the concept of trolls in haunts is not uncommon.

The Boris Troll was designed and built for the city of Midland, Michigan's 2011 Downtown Sculpture Series, an annual event where various artists create sculptures based on that year's theme.

The theme for 2011 is trolls to coincide with the 30th anniversary of Midland's tridge, a three way foot bridge that is an icon for the city.

Artists could choose to paint a pre-formed sculpture or create their own free-form troll. The sculptures had specific size requirements and could not be "dark, scary or unfriendly."

Last January the Downtown Development Authority put out a "call to artists" to submit designs for troll sculptures that would be displayed in downtown Midland during June, July and August.

The sculpture series was celebrating its tenth anniversary and after a few minutes I came up with a concept that I felt would be a fun and challenging project.

The tutorial includes a couple of new techniques I used including filling the hollow interiors with expanding spray foam for strength, some new texture methods and the use of an industrial polycoat.

The troll will be taken to a local company next week for the polycoat application and I will follow up with the details.

More photos and tutorial here.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,261 Posts
Another cool creation, Stolloween.

·
Super Moderator
64,257 Posts
This guy is ready to go to work with tools in hand:)

Aside from this being a wonderful character, I also like how you incorporated references to the town and bridge into the piece.

·
Player of Paste
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone, besides the obvious lettering on the wrench "Midland" and the bolts "Tridge Bolts" there are a number of subtle references to the tridge...because it is a three way foot bridge the number three is represented quite a bit in Boris:

-Three toes on each foot.
-Three fingers on each hand.
-Three warts on each cheek.
-Three warts on the chin.
-Six hair tendrils ... a multiple of three.
-Three bolts.
-And finally there is an "S" in each ear...one for Scott and one for Stoll...nobody will probably notice but it makes me chuckle.

·
Player of Paste
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know the specifics of the product used to seal the props...when I drop it off next week I plan I getting the information and seeing how everyone can find a supplier in their location. I've seen the coating on sculptures from the previous years and contacted one of the artists who has used the polycoat on her sculptures just to verify that it would protect the piece from water damage. I will share the info once I learn more.....seeing the coating first hand I'm confident that this will be a good thing and good info for those creating with papier mache.

·
Batty Beautiful
5,646 Posts
you sir, are a master of paper mache! the troll is so adorable!

·
Director of Ambiance
1,816 Posts
Ok, I will admit (with head hung in shame) that I can't possibly imagine HOW you got the letter imprints in the bolts so perfect. I have thought it out in my head, and every technique I try flops. Would love to know!

I adore Boris. He has so much personality, I just love looking at him!

·
She looks so normal
21,276 Posts
I bow to your creativity. I'm not worthy. But I can't believe they said the troll couldn't be "dark, scary or unfriendly". Have they seen a real troll? Those are the creatures nightmares are made of.

·
User Title Already Taken
2,237 Posts
ok, ok. So we all want to know how you did what you did. I have been following it on Facebook the whole time. But that is really not everyone's question. What no one has asked yet, is Did it cost less than 20 dollars to make and can it go in a graveyard :D

haha, just kidding but still, did it?

·
Capt'n Pirate MacGyver
3,071 Posts
I've been following this project for as long as you've been posting about it ... AWESOME job!

·
Super Moderator
64,257 Posts
Hey, Stoll, I see from your blog that it took over 100 hours and a lot of patience to make the troll. How long did it take to make that good-looking zombie standing next to the troll in your first picture?:D

·
Something Wicked
2,119 Posts
I've been following this on your blog and it's great to see it finished, nice work! The paint is beautiful and has some great depth, very rich looking. Looking forward to hearing more about the polycoating as well.

·
Player of Paste
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Ok, I will admit (with head hung in shame) that I can't possibly imagine HOW you got the letter imprints in the bolts so perfect. I have thought it out in my head, and every technique I try flops. Would love to know!

I adore Boris. He has so much personality, I just love looking at him!
After some trial and error I came up with a super simple solution.

1. Print the words from your computer...choose the font and size you want.
2. Glue the word to a piece of craft foam...it was like 1/8" thick...its the sheets of foam they sell in the craft department.
3. Cut out each letter.
4. Press each letter into the wet papier mache clay...I placed the foam letters in the correct position then sunk each foam letter into the clay until it was flush with the surface.
5. Let the clay dry for three or four hours in front of a fan...just enough so the surface is starting to dry and it's not tacky to the touch.
6 Remove each letter leaving a nice clean imprint...I had to use a pair of tweezers to pull the letters from the clay.

Ta da...papier mache lettering. I used this technique years ago on some large tombstones...works great. You can press other designs and textures into the clay as well for some interesting effects.

Here's the tombstone link:
http://www.stolloween.com/?page_id=38

Note: I updated the tutorial to include the lettering information

1 - 20 of 45 Posts