Haunt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been reading this board off and on since last halloween and like many people I was inspired by Zombie-F's buried alive coffin with the green interior illumination. Needless to say mine is half complete.

I know many people were thinking of how to do this with LEDs to cut down on power consumption and heat while not sacrificing overall illumination. Well I think I found a solution, I just got myself this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270163680458&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017 It can be wired to 120VAC, I'll post pics once I get it and get it wired up.

Search eBay for "led traffic", that will get you a lot of results; I know there are more on there and someone is selling a red and green one.

And for those that are thinking of building themselves coffins, etc my advice is to go get a miter saw. You can get a nice Craftsman one for under $100. Trying to do some of the cuts with with a circular saw sucks.

Love everyone's work!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received my shipping confirmation today so if all goes right I should have it this weekend to test out.

More tips for those who are thinking of building a burried alive coffin. Definitly get 1x4 boards. I ended up with cedar fence boards that are only .5" thick. I think that the extra .25" that you would get from a "normal" 1x4 would make things go a lot easier. And the cedar fence boards are all pretty warped and that makes a big difference if you are trying to get the boards to lay tightly against each other.

The fact that I haven't really built anything since HS shop might be why I am longing for that extra .25" on the boards. heh

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE

Well I received my traffic light on Sat. and I am just about finished with the coffin construction. I have provided a link to a flickr photo stream to show all the images. First off, this thing is huge..12" in diameter! It does put out a lot of light. I am still trying to determine if having it shine down from the top or up from the bottom provides the effect I want. Granted hanging this thing in there might also determine which way I go. I think I am also going to paint the underside of the lid white to help with light reflectivity inside.

Ok the quick nuts and bolts of wiring it up. I received it with 2 wires sticking out the back of the case, i did temp wire up to make sure it worked and it did. The more permanent/weather proof solution involved screwing an outdoor metal junction box to the back of the light casing. I used the included foam "gasket" to seal it but I am going to put a nice bead of silicone around it as well.

I can try to get more pictures if there are angles that people want or close ups of this thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the positive review, I'm pretty impressed how it came together. I am still going to spend some time on that cross with my rotary tool to get it where I want it.

The inspiration was from Zombie-F's version of this coffin but the plans are from www.ourhaunt.com

You can see the plans here http://www.shallowvalley.com/buriedaliveplansprint.html

and some pics of their build here http://www.shallowvalley.com/buriedalive.html

Adding in lighting is what can make this a more expensive project. I think I spent about $30 for just the basic coffin pieces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would be happy to provide the name of the seller I got this light from. The shipping was fast and the price reasonable. I believe he has one still listed. PM me if anyone is interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.