Haunt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hmmmmm, can fog machines set them off?
It depends on what kind of smoke detector you have (ionization or photoelectric).

A ionization smoke detector testes the chemical makeup of the air and the fog should not trigger it.

A photoelectric smoke detector uses a beam of light and the fog can break the beam and trigger the alarm.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Where can you go to find out if your haunt falls into this category, and to find out what the requirements are in your state for safety and insurance, etc? Thanks.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Fremont cracks down on haunted house

The scariest feature of the Stelle family's haunted house attraction this year is all the red tape the family has to cut through to make it happen.

The Fremont family's plans to continue their six-year tradition were severed when they received a notice last week from the city's building and safety department, which said the Halloween haunt is in violation of several municipal codes.

Read more:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/14/BAS51LHC8U.DTL

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm making a small short walk through in my one car garage. The only lights i have are 2 small wal-mart halloween strobe lights. I did put a fire alarm at the middle point of my garage. There is only one exit though. I live in a country town of about 900 people and i don't think there is really any town codes to follow. I have signs made, enter at your own risk. Not charging as its cool but nothing spectacular. I'm removing the side door the night of the garage haunt. Me and a few friends will be walking in it and outside scaring people. I'm only allowing 3 people in at a time b/c it's not a huge walk through. I think i should be alright. I'm gonna have a table outside my garage where the garage door is where my wife will be handing out candy then people can choose to go through or not.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It depends on what kind of smoke detector you have (ionization or photoelectric).

A ionization smoke detector testes the chemical makeup of the air and the fog should not trigger it.

A photoelectric smoke detector uses a beam of light and the fog can break the beam and trigger the alarm.
Interested in this, any additional information available? Links or such? The local school where I have my charity haunt uses ionization detectors and the local Fire Department says the fog will set them off...

RandalB

·
Premium Member
10,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

·
Super Moderator
64,431 Posts
They should have read the "can you get shut down - heck, yeah" thread here.

·
Registered
448 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts

I use the standard type detectors and where the fog was, I had to remove the battery. Which defeated the purpose of it. Eventually, I quit using the fog and put the battery back in. Safety was more important than a fog effect.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is why we moved from an indoor to a haunted trail. We used a hundred year old lodge that did not have sprinklers and the fire chief let us do it anyways as long as we had fire retardant liquid on everything. But we had to move the next year so we went outdoors. I think we just have to have liability ins. this year and post no smoking signs etc. I always train my people and have whistles and team captns in each section. Walkie talkies and flashlights are a must.I know I gota have security but not sure about anything else.:jol:

·
Registered
127 Posts
We also do an outdoor trail. In our area, we are not even required to have insurance, just posted signs to make visitors aware that they will be entering at their own risk and we are not responsible for accidents or injuries blah blah blah....but I think this year we are going to get liability insurance just to be on the safe side.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts