Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, everyone! Listen, I was wondering about to create some smells for my haunt this year, which is themed as a run-down, ghostly carnival. I'd like to make the air smell like cotton candy & popcorn. I tried looking at Sinister Scents, but they don't sell any scents like that on-line. Does anyone have a suggestion for making home-made smells for a circus Haunt? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I don't know about a cotton-candy smell, but lots of Jiffy Pop will get the popcorn scent going for you.

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
How about kettle corn smell?
Dang. That got my mouth watering just thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
They were talking about this on another thread and someone had mentioned that cheap cotton candy perfume they cell at walmart... I completely forgot about it! I assume it's fairly cheap. I'd spray it on some of your actors and maybe even your props. If the scent fades just spray some more!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Dark Candles makes a "Dark Carnival" scented candle. Smells like popcorn, carmel apples, and candy. Might work for ya, if the whole fire thing is not an issue.

·
Panic time is here!
3,834 Posts
It would be really cheap to pop some popcorn the old fashioned way.

Cotton candy has vanilla, bubble gum and some other flavor....don't know how to get that unless that perfume works.

Did you have to mention funnel cakes? Dang it now I want funnel cake!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Carnival Scents

About a year ago I decided that I wanted to create a "fragrance" for my Undertaker character. I had never done anything like that before but after some research I found out about fragrance oils. So my Undertaker character's "Unearthed Cedar Coffin and Mausoleum Moss" scent was born.

Do a google search for "cotton candy fragrance oil" and "popcorn fragrance oil" and you'll easily find a bunch of inexpensive ones to try. Use one of those essential oil warmers to spread the scent....mix 'em up too...add some caramel apple or funnel cake or whatever else you can think of.

You can also buy "scent beads", soak 'em in your oils and just attach a mesh bag of them to a small fan to disperse the scent. It really makes a huge difference in the atmosphere. Be careful in enclosed spaces though...these oils are often very strong and can make some people nauseous.

I actually made incense with my blend and I burn a stick or two in the casket viewing area during my Halloween party. DarkCandles.com has some excellent scents (the Nosferatu scent makes my mouth water) and eveningeclipse.com too. I'm sure both of those companies have what you're looking for.

If you need more info or links or anything, let me know. I was consumed by this project for about a year and have compiled a lot of info. (On a side note, check out gothrosary.com's graveyard scent too. It smells like fresh grass and dried flowers)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have yet to use scents in a haunt yet but I use them in my business. I rigged a small PC fan at one end of a tube and put a piece of sponge soaked in scent in the tube. The power supply is a cheap wall wart that has variable voltage so I just pick a voltage (3-12V in 1.5 increments) that turns the fan at a speed suitable for that particular area to be just scented and not over scented.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have yet to use scents in a haunt yet but I use them in my business. I rigged a small PC fan at one end of a tube and put a piece of sponge soaked in scent in the tube. The power supply is a cheap wall wart that has variable voltage so I just pick a voltage (3-12V in 1.5 increments) that turns the fan at a speed suitable for that particular area to be just scented and not over scented.
What a great idea!!!! Just curious...what business are you in that requires scent that isn't a haunt?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a showroom that designs and sells kitchens. I use coffee and cooking bread aromas!

The PC fan thing was very easy and very cheap. I made a slightly larger one up that takes the cheap 'reed wick' type scent diffusers for when I just want a Jasmine fragrance or whatever (the coffee and bread gets a bit cloying over time)

·
Registered
148 Posts
There is a company called international flavors and fragrances. I think there still located in N.J.. They bacically make every scent and flavor taht every company buys or uses. It might be worth a shot. And if they can't sell it to you I'm sure they can point you in the right direction... Good Luck with the cool smells...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a showroom that designs and sells kitchens. I use coffee and cooking bread aromas!

The PC fan thing was very easy and very cheap. I made a slightly larger one up that takes the cheap 'reed wick' type scent diffusers for when I just want a Jasmine fragrance or whatever (the coffee and bread gets a bit cloying over time)
Absolutely brilliant! Both the scent diffuser ideas and using homey scents to help sell kitchens! Scent helps set the atmosphere and has a powerful effect on the mind! Thanks for sharing that!

·
Registered
28 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts