Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Devils Chariot - What are your thoughts on a cave theme? I'm planning on having the cave go from the front, to the back, and back to the front through the house. I know you did a section like this so I figured you'd be the best person to ask. I am also planning on making it a maze or at least a kind of confusing walkthrough. I will be using gore galore's "The Cave" CD. I'm going for a cave/swamp overgrown by plants, animals, and monsters. There will be a (small) cemetary in front of it. Now I know what your thinking, "You've already got it all figured out!" But, I don't. I don't know what I'll need, how I'll build everything, and when I will actually do this. I might do it in a few years or this year. I don't know. Any ideas?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm really new to this so I'll keep it brief. I'm planning on doing a cave/swamp theme in the following years. Check out Gore Galore's "The Cave" CD (sample) to get a feeling of what the atmosphere will be like. I will be using that CD. I'm seeing low fog, vines, swamp creatures, and a long, twisting, confusing, dark, eerie cave. This thread will be relevent in years to come so don't feel like it's a stale thread. Much input is needed. I'm electronicaly and pneumaticaly impaired (retarted) so don't get all nerdy on me. Thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Your not really asking a question, would you like ideas that fit the swamp theme?

·
Administrator
10,700 Posts
Moved post to new thread so discussion did not hijack Devils Chariot's haunt thread.

·
Registered
129 Posts
may I suggest you look into buying fog scents from somebody like Sinister Scents. Get a swamp scent or something mildew like. They sold me 5 gram sample packs of scents and I chose one and bought a two ounce fog additive. I get more comments from the odor than anything else.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Watch the Descent!

And wouldn't it be cool to give out hard hats with flashlights taped on to the younger ones or really frightened kids? Just a thought. It may compromise a lot of the stuff you want hidden and ruin the atmosphere but you know if someone was REALLY frightened haha.

Try a paper mache vine monster with led red eyes too. That could be really cool.

·
Registered
268 Posts
We've done lots of props and scenes that could translate well to your theme. And everything cheap, and simple. Check some threads I've started to see examples:
  • Cardboard, paper mache and paint. Look at the $20 prop entries.
  • Cardboard, plastic tablecloth and paint- faster and cheaper than mache
  • Large standing figures with wooden frames, masks and cloth
  • Vines from rope or wire, green tissue paper and fake leaves
  • $1 Ritt dye from Walmurt + $1 cheesecloth from dollar store = moss/web
  • Spiderweb. Cheap. Found everywhere.
  • Make a bridge out of old wood pallets. (at own risk!)

·
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty
2,236 Posts
You could add in a mine shaft sort of decor. Lots of timber supports with rusty lanterns. A dead canary cage hanging with lots of cobwebs. Cave spiders and such meandering through dead (corpsed groundbreaker) miners. If you don't want hard hats on the tourists...hard hats on the dead miners could light the way.

I totally agree with the vines and moss. You could add lots of areas of stalagtites and stalagmites. How do you do the walls of the cave sort of depends on how permanent this cave will be.

Ohh.....I'd add lots of echoing sounds.

·
Volat cum ea suas alas.
12,853 Posts
papery, dried-jelly, lining of diapers+ lots of water + dye = gelatinous slime mold. One small diaper = about 2 gallons of goo.

·
Registered
959 Posts
papery, dried-jelly, lining of diapers+ lots of water + dye = gelatinous slime mold. One small diaper = about 2 gallons of goo.
I don't even want to think about how you know that. Ewwwww!

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Isn't that stuff amazing??? At a family gathering last summer, the gelling portion of a diaper was left next to a wading pool (I think a diaper-happy dog was involoved), the result was astounding....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Where in Phoenix are you, Dark Carver? I also thought about an abandoned Mine theme; Lots of abandoned mines in Arizona off Table Mesa Rd., in the Lake Pleasant area and near Wickenburg for inspiration. As long as you are not my neighbor, I will be happy to share haunt ideas. (We can't have two mine themed haunts in the same neighborhood. :))

·
Pumpkin Hill Gravekeeper
1,536 Posts
Spiders and thick webs, vines and spanish moss, snakes, lizards and rats like these here http://www.cindybob.com/halloween/ratfeast/. Something I have done with some success is to hang lots of strands of black thread from above long enough that it will touch the faces of people walking past. It feels like webs. Sort of spooky.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
WOW! You guys are freaking awsome. Ok... Well I've never heard of the diaper thing I'll try that out tomorrow. Hassmama, I live in North phoenix and I've never seen them, I'll check them out. Jaege, thanks for the suggestions. Those types of creatures could go in the first few segments of the cave and in the mine section. I think once you go in deeper it turns into a freakshow of freaky transparent insects and I like those worms that produce strings of slime(hot glue).
I also recently looked at the enviromental and safety aspects of mining and realized how great this could help me if I incorperated it into the haunt. I could have barrels of "methane gas" leaking out cold fog and have a character (probably animatronic) telling about the "affect of "intermediate" or "junior" mining on his cave dwelling comunity and that you will die for what "your people" have done".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a very small front yard so this year I will have a small cemetary and a upsidedown U or W shaped cave in the garage. Gotta start small. Gotta start somewhere. I'll try my best to fit as much as I can in there. I WILL grow. And it will eventualy be all that I imagine.
I'm currently building a fog chiller and then moving on to the vine monster. The vine monster will be as realistic as I can make it. Good luck with your guy's and girl's haunts!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts