Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our witch area (I dress as a witch and hand out candy from a cauldron) is in desperate need of additions, so I thought I'd make this:

Goody Crowe's Grimoire
(additional pics of all the pages can be found at our haunt blog here.)





Materials:
corrugated cardboard - Free (leftover moving boxes)
tissue paper - Free (leftover from Christmas gifts received)
celtic pin (for imprinting) - from my jewelry box
gel medium - $2.50
red acrylic paint - $1.00
burgundy acrylic paint - $1.00
miniscule amounts of black acrylic paint - $0.20
miniscule amounts of copper acrylic paint - $0.20
Sculpey clay - $2.00
2 yards black 1" grossgrain ribbon - $1.00
0.5 yards black .25" grossgrain ribbon - $0.10
16 paper fasteners - $0.25
12" x 12" black paper - 2 @ $.25 = $0.50
8.5" x 11" parchment paper - 13 @ $0.10 = $1.30
11 Ink Jet printouts (ink pro-rate) - [email protected] $0.10 = $1.10
Antique Brown Pigment Stamp Pad - $0.75 (partial use)
clip art images - 11 @ $0.03 = $0.33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FINAL TOTAL $12.23

First I cut two 9.5" x 12" pieces out o the cardboard. I then cut an additional two pieces, sized 1" x 12" for the spine Next, I covered the fronts of all the pieces with a thin coat of gel medium. Then, wrinkling the tissue paper it as I went, I placed the tissue down of the cardboard pieces, and pressed it firmly over the entire surface. I then trimmed the remaining tissue paper until there was about 1" left (to fold over to the back.)

After the fronts dried, I applied a bit more gel medium to the sides and the backs (only where the tissue would wrap around to) and glued the remaining tissue paper into place. After the pieces dried completely, I painted them with the red and burgundy paint, making sure to blend them together, but still retaining evidence of the use of two colors. I only painted the backs of the covers about 2" of the way in. The spine pieces were totally painted front and back.

While these were drying, I made and printed out the grimoire pages. I used various spells and info that I found online. I used images from my clip art library. (I can describe the actual set-up of my files, if requested.)

Next I planned the order of the pages, and arranged them accordingly. Using gel medium, I glued the front and back of the first "page" together, adding a 2.25" extender tab to the left side of the page. (The extender tabs are made from the same paper.) I then assembled the remaining pages in the same fashion.

While the pages were drying, I completed the grimoire cover. First, I lined up the front cover with the front cover spine, leaving a 1/8" space between the two. Then, I cut two 1/2 yard lengths of 1" black ribbon. I used gel medium to glue them horizontally, across the entire width of the spine and front cover. I eyeballed the spacing, but each ribbon was placed roughly 2" or so from the top and bottom edges. After letting the gel medium set up for about 10 minutes, I punched a small slit through the place where the ribbons overlapped the spine, and inserted paper fasteners to secure them. I also did this across the length of the ribbons on the cover. I then trimmed and folded over the overlapping ribbons (on both cover and spine) and glued them into place. Lastly, using the gel medium, I glued down a 9" x 11.5" pice of black paper on the inside of the cover. I then repeated this process for the back cover.

While the glue dried on the covers, I marked hole placement (2 holes) on the extender of the first grimoire page and punched the holes. I used the first page as a template for the remaining pages. I then cut the edges of the pages so that they were irregular in shape. Lastly, using the antique brown pigment stamp pad, I "aged" the pages by irregularly rubbing the pad over each side of the page.

Next, using a centered grimoire page as a template, I punched two holes into each spine. I then bound the book together using black 1/8" ribbon.

To make the embellishment for the front cover, I used Sculpey clay. I rolled the clay into a ball and then flattened it out into a disc shape. I lightly rolled a rolling pin over it to smooth it out. Next, I used my celtic pin as a stamp and made an imprint in the clay. I baked it according to manufacturer's direction, and let it cool. Then, I painted a thin coat of black paint on it and added highlights of copper paint. When the disc was dry, I attached it to the front cover of the grimoire with gel medium.

That's it!
 

·
She looks so normal
Joined
·
21,274 Posts
What a beatiful book! I can't believe the talent of the people on this forum. I couldn't begin to think of some of these things. I'm so lucky I have you all to steal, I mean take insperation from. Great looking book CC!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,682 Posts
Great work Cery..good entry
I'm thinking alot of people will be doing something like this. Including me.
Good How to. Thanks
 

·
Bataholic
Joined
·
2,725 Posts
WoW!!!! You did an awesome job Cerys! Looks like just like you've had it forever... :> Makes me want one and I don't even have a witch prop..... yet.... :devil: Nice work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
Very Cool! Im making one myself right now and yours blows mine of the face of the earth!
VERY NICE JOB! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks again, guys!

Rasp- I use clipart.com for my clipart. The site offers different legnth subscriptions ranging from 1 week for $18.00 to 1 year for $170.00, with no limitationas on how much you download. They have traditional clipart, offered in many different file formats, as well as historical images and illustrations, photographs, sounds and even some fonts.

Whenever I need clip art for a client's project, I get a week long subscription and go nuts with the downloading!
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top