Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is just a start of two head props that im workin on - you can see the original latex pull that came straight out of my mold (still looks pretty rough - have to touch up my mold with a tad of JC in a few places) - the skull heads are two part urethane pulled out of a silicone bucky mold i made - just slice and dice on the latex into two parts - great stuff it onto the skulls - and now comes the fun part - im gonna add the gooey inner good - haha - neck stump - tendons - spinal cord with stringy nerves..mmmm wheres the BBQ sauce???

anyway - this will be a build progress thread - so follow along!

riley

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep - made the mold myself from a cheap severed head prop i bought - its made of plaster and burlap reinforcements - so far so good - crosses fingers - thanks guys! riley

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
The heads look good, but what kind of bottles are holding them up? Is that some kind of pumpkin liquor? I need to know.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh slimy - you would ask that - haha - glad the potential of a new liquor is more interesting than halloween props for you - haha - jp - actually its not liquor its a type of syrup that you can either put in things such as chai tea or even milkshakes and snow cones - it is really really good and has a very nice distinctive flavor - i think the brand is called Toraini - they have lots of flavors anywhere from watermelon to mint chocolate chip - anyway...now back to you haunt enthusiests (haha - just pickin on ya slimy)

thanks dave! i was pretty happy with the innitial look to - i like how i can get different expressions for the very same head just by cutting it in a different way - more to come....

riley

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a few progress pics - little latex - little tissues - little bag o web - lots of patience - coming along so far - the painting is whats gonna make or break them though - should be interesting - we'll see

riley

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys! what an honor spartan! and a special thanks to you babygirl :) someone finally commented on the thread name - haha - i actually chuckled when i came up with that one - haha - more to come.....riley

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dr morbious - yes - there totally would have been a way to make him talk - even an eye movement if i would have done the animatronics part before all the gore got caked on - course there would have been lots of special care needed to make sure none of the moveable parts were fastened down, but it would be very doable - that is the only thing i wish would change about the talking skulls - i am in awe of some of the realism you guys are getting with your talking skulls, however some just look a little too clean - now of course i understand not wanting to mess up your creation (id be nervous too) but darnit that 1,000 dollar new fangled talking skull looks like its been pampered and put throught eh dry cleaners everyday! id love to corpse one of those bad boys up - joint project anyone??? you articulate it, i corpse it?? haha - yeah right - like anyone would trust me with there project that prolly took well over 200 hours to make - haah - it would be fun though! would be really grousome actually - could you imagine seeing a half ripped off face still talking? thats another thing about the skulls - dont get me wrong - i love them to death and envy the builders - but no matter how good they are, because its a skulls and we know it cant be real, it takes the realism out of it (i know thats not the purpose of the skull - im just sayin) but if there was a half human that looks like it just got thrashed to hell by a carnivorous beast and the mouth was moving and eye was still rolling - it could possibly look like it was takings its last breaths/words - idk - sooo many possibilities - so little time - riley

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Yea, I was thinking the same thing, I think the skulls are a little spartan in thier appearance, but I have plans for mine, which involve making skins for it, kinda like bucky skins, but more characters, like a grave digger, witch, etc. I like the idea of a half flesh/skull head. I may have to make a skin like that. Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm going to try to do one like this tommorrow... 1031 fan, how did you make the mold of the prop head. The only one I have is the fresh beheaded illusion guy and he was lik $80 so I don't want to mess it up. Thanks

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey spartan - the mold is made from plaster of paris and burlap reinforcements - these are necesary to keep it from breaking - its like rebar in concrete - there are good sites out there about mold making - one being vilethings.com - look for his corkus body prop - it shows the process pretty good - can you show me a pic of that 80$ head you bought? i was thinking of selling these heads if they come out ok and arent too terribly hard to make - i want to see what someone is willing to pay that much for - must be a hell of a damn good prop for 80 bucks - i think with mine it would be cool cause the customers could basically customize wha they wanted it to look like ect ect and i could make it - i dunno - i dont want to seel stuff to make a proffit - i just want to get some money back so i can make more haunt stuff :) but good luck with the mold - take pics and ill be more than willing to walk you through the steps if you need me to - riley

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
good call doc - anyone know of the ruling on this? i thought of this originally - but thought since i cut it up and totally changed it it would be null - but its obviously better safe than sorry - what about the bucky too? it was cast from a trademarked item as well, but lots of other companies use buckies like their own - i bought the original head from a dealer that was selling stuff like 1/2 off - with no tags on ect....anyone have any advice if i want to eventually sell some of these? - thanks - riley

1 - 20 of 54 Posts