Haunt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to do a hall of mirrors, but the number of mirrors it would take makes it too expensive. Has anyone ever tried to make their own mirrors? I'm trying to work it out in my head, but if you took reynolds wrap or maybe even just painted a surface silver ultra glossy then put a thick layer of clear paint on top of it, do you think that would make a good enough mirror? Has anyone ever tried to make a lot of cheap mirrors?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I tried to make one of those "distored" mirrors last year, unfortunately with no luck. MS had this idea in one of her books. I did buy that reflective film that you put on your car windows, which was a great idea, but it is very sticky. I tried to bend a piece of cardborad just enough to get the image to distort, but didn't work. The film though was a good idea. Picked it up at a local automotive supply store.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I believe that if you spray the backside of a piece of glass or plexi with either black or silver, you'll get a mirror. Spray lightly to avoid runs. Worth a try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe plexiglass with some car window reflection tint. Both items should be easy to get at a hardware store (or the window tint can be found at any auto repair retail store). I've seen sites where people used this method to make the "Bottomless Pit" illusion, where a regular mirror and a two-way mirror is needed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made a see through mirror with Gila privacy film and plexiglas for a bottomless pit. It worked okay and was cheaper than buying real mirrors. Can't remember how much I paid for the Gila film-I think it was $28 at Lowes for a long sheet. If you need the specifics, I'm sure I could find the old box. They sold an application kit (squeegee, application spray, knife) which did help a lot with getting it applied correctly to the plexiglas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.