Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into making a skull that talks, I will have him tell the story of Shady Hallows. What is the cheapest and easiest way to acomplish this? I have seen the dougie and Scary Terrys so far. The ST one would cost me about $100 with a 120 sec. chip. What are your sugjestions?

·
A little bit bent...
3,232 Posts
The ST skull kit is a pretty good deal if you don't want to build one yourself. Scary Terry has a full set of instructions for building the skull on his web site:
www.scary-terry.com.
Use the Cowlacious servo driver board but for better and longer sound, I recommend a CD player. Depends on how you plan to trigger it, too. The ISD chips are good for switch mat, PIR and relay and manual triggering, but if you're going to loop the story use a CD on repeat. I've used all flavors of the ISD's and the 120 sec chip sounds pretty muddy. You also have to invest in a recorder board to use it. Just my .02.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Otaku is right on the money here Shady, the Scary Terry unit is the best way to go for a plug-n-play (just got one myself). If you use the ISD chip, the price does go up about $30 or so. I got really good results with the little MP3's, and if you have a talent with circuit boards, Otaku has devised a brilliant way to activate the player from a trigger on another post in the props section.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure I want to do the manually run talking skull because I feel it would be very easy to screw up. I am also having the skeleton a pnumatic (sp) so he pops up out of his coffin to speak to the guests. I have no idea how to run boards and what not so I will try the ST thing you are talking about. Could you give me a little help hear though on what I would need to order from cowlacious? Thanks much.

·
Hillbilly Wrangler
3,472 Posts
SO Troy would you use this after youve put ur ST head together? Cuz the way i read it you need to have a prop already built for talking to make this work to what you want? But then again, im new to the pneumatic stuff and could be totally wrong.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I second Troy's post about the hauntmaster motor mouth. I use three of these and have never had a problem with them.

I put one on a talking skull candy dish. Those look pretty good and are readily available around the holiday season. You can find them on the net, but expect to pay a little more. The skull comes off with four screws and the hauntmaster web site talks you through installation. It is very easy.

Talking skull candy dish runs around $14 during halloween. Motor mouth is $35.

This would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Miss Turtle, the hauntmaster motor mouth will NOT work with a Scarry Terry skull. The ST skulls use servo motors ( motors with precise control over very small increments). The motor mouth controller controlls ONLY the cheaper dc motors that come in 'talking toys'.

You are talking about a complete set up ( skull candy dish or whatever and controller) with the hauntmaster is around $50. The Scarry Terry version is going to run at least twice that. Is the Scarry Terry better? Absolutely. Will the tot'ers notice the difference? Absolutely not.

One thing I have noticed with the motor mouth. Run it ONLY using a "line out" jack on your cd player. The "headphone out" jack does NOT work. The jaw just stays open.

and these are MY 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
One more post and I promise to be done:

The talking skull from the candy dish fits very nicely on a blucky body.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I got this circuit printed out the other day. Have yet to wire it up, but when I do, I will give a full report.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
When you do it Slimy, will you make a how to with plenty of pics for the electronically challenged folks like me?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I definitely like the scary-terry design. I haven't tried any others... but I went with a pair of cowlacious pre-built scary-terry skulls, and rigged up with an external audio source it's total simplicity and very effective.

Still buying them built for you certainly hikes up the price.

My videos of this past year's routine are here:

·
Registered
512 Posts
OK, Slimy, quick question: I've looked over Jim Kadel's Sound Servo Controller circuit layout, and, it looks simple enough, but where is the outside sound input jack? Am I missing something, or just too dumb to figure it out (not beyond the realm of possibility here!)

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I guess I don't understand what you are asking.

You just run the wires directly to the leads coming off of the speaker. You can use any type of jack you want to attach the leads to the box. RCA or eighth inch would probably be the most common. But really whatever you have would work.

I hope that is what you are asking.

I still have not gotten around to doing the whole wire it up thing, but it looks simple enough. I plan on patching it with Otaku's mp3 hack and making this thing fly.

Frankly, I won't get to this soon, as I have family business that takes precedence as of now. But when that is settled, I'll be a wiring mofo.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That MM thing looks as if it would be the best way to go. I am thinking about getting one but what item would be the best to hook it up to?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I've got one hooked up to a billy bass fish. I hooked one to a 3' talking skeleton groom. And I hooked up the two channel to to skull candy dishes ( dish removed, skulls screwed to blucky bodies) So they could talk to each other.

Of all of them the skull candy dishes are my favorite.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts