Haunt Forum banner

Cheapo MP3 player update

7939 Views 71 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  Dr Morbius
Hi all,
I worked out the timer circuit for turning the player on remotely. It can be activated with any dry contact switch (mat, PIR, manual switch etc) as long as no voltage goes to the player. I'll have the circuit for turning it off in a another week or so. I'm getting the circuit drawings done as I go, and will include pics. The first timing circuit looks a bit sloppy - a couple of false starts, and I'm not the best at circuit board layouts. Progress is being made! More to come...
1 - 8 of 72 Posts
I take it, these have good sound quality? I was thinking about getting some cowlacious recorders at some time, but if these are nice....

Adding a couple more relays to one of my prop controllers wouldn't be a big deal. What do you guys use for amplified speakers? I was checking out Radio Shack's MP3 portable speaker for $5.97. Their item # 10-1469
I haven't gotten mine yet, but why do you need a female USB connector? Is there not an easy way to just break the power of the battery in the battery part of the player by adding an insulator there and use the relay to remake the connection?

Maybe it will make sense when I get mine from MPJA
Not a problem for me to help you out on that. I am sure more will volunteer as well :)
jpg pics would be best for me. I will just copy and paste in the text from either the e-mail itself or if you wanted to microsoft word, that would be fine too.

Send them to bourno (at) teambac.com

I will just add a "Otaku MP3 player hack" to my project page list. I just got back from a work trip and gonna have to make some time to see what addition hacks could be done to the player.
I have thrown together a small how-to for using it with a Prop-1 or similar type controller board. I haven't soldered anything up yet, but did the testing by manually jumping the connections at this time.

http://www.teambac.com/web_hall/MP3_player_hack.html
It would be like yours Otaku for needing to time it out for pulsing the play/stop button again as Zombie mentioned.

It is just too bad there isn't any easy way to make it behave like we want instead of needing a controller that could be more expensive than the MP3 player :( But, if a person was already using a prop-1 or similar on the prop already, it would be a wash then :)
I have posted Otaku's PDF on my web site along with the the parts list and schematic drawing.

Otaku's MP3 hack
I have uploaded Part 2 of Otaku's circuit onto the the link from earlier.

I have posted Otaku's PDF on my web site along with the the parts list and schematic drawing.

Otaku's MP3 hack
1 - 8 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.