Black Spray Paint = $1.00

Stone Textured Spray Paint = $3.00

Green Spray Paint = $1.00

Sticks - Found in yard = Free

Broom Bristols = Found in garage = Free - required item

Old Broken Broom Handle = Free - required item

Total Project Cost = $6.75

Assembly

It took a few days for me to come up with an idea. But after i thought of smething, it went very smooth. First thing i did was gather all my materials.

I cut each of the foam packing pieces in half. Used one for the base & one for the tombstone. Then used an electric knife to cut the shapes for the base & tombstone. I used my fingers to pinch small pieces of foam from the tombstone so it would look like chisled granite. It actually worked pretty well. I used an xacto knife to make the cracks in the tombstone. Then I added highlights & shadows with spray paint. Next I print out the text from my computer, cut out each letter by hand (that took a while) and used it as a stencil to spray paint the name on the tombstone. Added a cut section of broom handle to connect the tombstone to the base

Next i made the vases. I cut the top off 2 plastic water bottles & the bottom off 2 other water bottles. Drilled a hole through each of the 4 caps. Connected 2 caps to each other with a nut, bolt 7 washers. Screwed the caps to the cut bottles & painted them with textured spray paint. Stuffed some leftover foam in the bottle for the roses to stick into.

The black roses were a bit tricky as well. I straightened some wire coat hangers. Used them for the rose stems. Then started to loosely wrap duct tape around each stem. A coat of black spray paint made a good looking rose. I also added some sticks from the yard & a few broom bristols.

Took some old twine & kept pulling it apart until it was really loose looking. A little spray paint & it looked just like spanish moss to me.

And finally... Here is the finished product.

Overall, I'm happy with my Macguyver Project. I had a lot of fun working on my first HauntForum Project contest & hope to do more in the future.

·
Still scaring children
2,311 Posts
Nice Job!! Very creative! I never would have thought to make a rose from duct tape and clothes hanger wire.

·
Grrr
3,076 Posts
ooo like it! i shall be stealing, i mean "borrowing" your roses.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Sweet! I encounter a lot of that grey packing foam at work too and wonder what all I could do with it. Never really thought much about tombstones since it's pretty flexible, but I guess as long as it doesnt get a lot of wind making the cross wiggle it'd work just fine LOL...

Love the vases and roses too! For less than 7 bucks that's an awesome prop!

·
Bataholic
2,725 Posts
Cool! Very cool idea making duct tape roses! Never would have thought of that. And the bottle vases are a cool idea also! Cool prop!

·
Muddled Moderator
28,242 Posts
Nice tombstone. I particularly like how you made the vases and flowers. Good job Choman

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Good Job CHO...
cool idea for the vases...and flowers and moss
It must be real light weight ...Hope you can secure it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts