Black Spray Paint = $1.00

Stone Textured Spray Paint = $3.00

Green Spray Paint = $1.00

Sticks - Found in yard = Free

Broom Bristols = Found in garage = Free - required item

Old Broken Broom Handle = Free - required item

Total Project Cost = $6.75

Assembly

It took a few days for me to come up with an idea. But after i thought of smething, it went very smooth. First thing i did was gather all my materials.

I cut each of the foam packing pieces in half. Used one for the base & one for the tombstone. Then used an electric knife to cut the shapes for the base & tombstone. I used my fingers to pinch small pieces of foam from the tombstone so it would look like chisled granite. It actually worked pretty well. I used an xacto knife to make the cracks in the tombstone. Then I added highlights & shadows with spray paint. Next I print out the text from my computer, cut out each letter by hand (that took a while) and used it as a stencil to spray paint the name on the tombstone. Added a cut section of broom handle to connect the tombstone to the base

Next i made the vases. I cut the top off 2 plastic water bottles & the bottom off 2 other water bottles. Drilled a hole through each of the 4 caps. Connected 2 caps to each other with a nut, bolt 7 washers. Screwed the caps to the cut bottles & painted them with textured spray paint. Stuffed some leftover foam in the bottle for the roses to stick into.

The black roses were a bit tricky as well. I straightened some wire coat hangers. Used them for the rose stems. Then started to loosely wrap duct tape around each stem. A coat of black spray paint made a good looking rose. I also added some sticks from the yard & a few broom bristols.

Took some old twine & kept pulling it apart until it was really loose looking. A little spray paint & it looked just like spanish moss to me.

And finally... Here is the finished product.

Overall, I'm happy with my Macguyver Project. I had a lot of fun working on my first HauntForum Project contest & hope to do more in the future.

See less See more
#7 ·
Sweet! I encounter a lot of that grey packing foam at work too and wonder what all I could do with it. Never really thought much about tombstones since it's pretty flexible, but I guess as long as it doesnt get a lot of wind making the cross wiggle it'd work just fine LOL...

Love the vases and roses too! For less than 7 bucks that's an awesome prop!

#16 ·
Good Job CHO...
cool idea for the vases...and flowers and moss
It must be real light weight ...Hope you can secure it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.