Votes: 5 45.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're drawing ever so nigh to the end. We've now narrowed it down to four films and two of them vie for the top spot in the finals. The films in this first of two matches are Bela Lugosi in his evil prime starring in the Universal film Dracula, duking it out with Lon Chaney Jr. as the moaning werewolf with an affinity for high buttoned collars in The Wolfman. Which of these two Horror movie classic juggernauts will go forward to the ultimate prize? You decide as we now begin the voting for this next match in our classic monster match-ups.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After much debate with myself about this, I have to give the slight curve to Chaney's The Wolfman. while Dwight Frye's over the top portrayal of Renfield factored heavily into my thoughts about Dracula, I just couldn't get over some of the dragged out parts and the places where Lugosi horribly over-acted his role as the Count. "C'mere" didn't win no brownie points with me.

As for Chaney though his whining tended to get on my nerves after a while, I enjoyed him when he was in full lycanthropic mode. Since I like Werewolves better than Vampires, this wasn't a hard decision as to who would be King Monster.

While Frye was the breakout character in the one film, it wasn't about him. So, The Wolfman wins it for me in this match.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Two films who are among the top in the two sub-genres I'm least interested in. I gotta go with The Wolf Man as well for many of the same reasons stated by Sinister. The Wolf Man was just a better produced movie.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think I'm a big fan of vampire movies because they creeped me out so much when I was a kid. Dracula is much scarier than the wolfman in my book.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I couldn't possibly not choose Dracula. Both films are great, but I'm a vampires kind of gal! Though Lugosi did overact and the film did drag, as Sinister and Zombie have said, it's the feel of the film that does it for me. At times, The Wolfman feels too ordinary--like it could be any old film from that era. Dracula never relents.

And Dwight Frye? Brilliant!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
RENFIELD! "RATS..."
What more do I need to say?
Hell, I'm still trying to figure out a reason that Bela turns into a wolf, but Chaney turns into a wolf-MAN.
Yes, I've watched the commentary, and know the reason is simply that somebody blew it, but I try to come up with an "In film" reason; and never quite make it.

Anyways, Renfield.

·
I'm bringing sexy back
7,769 Posts
I have to go with the Count - definitely more creepy and also has the ability to change into a bat and a wolf.

·
Master of Scaremonies
12,932 Posts
:jol: As much as I love both films, I have to vote for the Wolfman - Love the character, love Lugosi in the supporting role, along with Claude Rains' role, and overall I think it is a better film. Tough call, but I go with this one.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If anyone still wants to throw a few more votes either of these films way, then you still have a little more time. I'm closing this thread tomorrow most likely, and then we'll move onto the final match in the Semi's. :jol:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like Lugosi tops out over another more worthy contender. Chaney Jr. makes his way to sulk and whine in the misty moors and we move on to the final match of the Semi's. :xbones:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.