Votes: 2 66.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shambling about like revenant trauma victims who have escaped from the hospital, we have The Mummy (1932) with Boris Karloff taking on once again, Christopher Lee in The Mummy (1959). This is the second time these two face each other in this particular outing and maybe Chris can pull off an upset and not be readily trounced like the first time. Time and your votes will tell. So lets shuffle through the desert sands, arm extended doing the Fred Sanford thang, and and use that arm to cast your vote.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Universal's Mummy film overall was a dull experience for the most part. I thought the sets and atmosphere of Hammer's gave that particular outing a creepier feel. IMHO, next to to some of their Dracula/Vampire movies it is one of the latter studios best films. I think it's funny whilst Karloff and Lee are wrapped up in the bandages that they look uncannily alike.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You and me both man. I have a special warm place in my cold, cold heart for the Universal Monster films and used to watch them on the Creature Features every Saturday/night that I was able. I wish they made films these days that were as good, unfortunately such is not the case. Instead, we get remakes that were pointless to remake in the first place. In most cases, I prefer a lot of Universal's films over Hammer, but in a few cases, such as this one, such is not the case. I found it funny that Ardeth-Bey walked about like Fred G. Sanford having "The Big One" but miraculously was able to carry a swooning woman with no trouble whatsoever. Priceless! :D

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Un-****ing-real. I can't believe that only me and Fright are the only two who have seen these flicks. Well, this is a late mid-week warning. Get in and post 'em if you're gonna.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I've seen the '32 version. Just not the '59. :( I never realized how many classic horror movies I hadn't seen 'til you started up this Classic Horror Movie Deathmatch.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I had to go with the 59 version... better sets, better mummy, more action. All-around, it's just better than the Universal version. The Mummy is one of my least favorites of the classics.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After such a pitiful display this time around, at least one good thing comes of it: HAMMER FINALLY MOVES TO THE QUARTERS! :D Maybe the next thread will fare better, but this one is now officially closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.