Haunt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya guys!

I'm new to the forum so i will write a introduction soon! :D

I have this idea for a coin operated animatronics, similar to a vending machine or arcade machine that when the correct amount is inserted, the animatronics will begin!

The animatronics I have are operated by VSA, so the coin slot system would have to be USB I guess.

Any Ideas would be greatly accepted!

Thanks

·
Registered
716 Posts
Firstly, don't post in black, very hard to read! :)

Are you giving away token for these animatronics? I don't think ToTs carry a lot of change... You might check places that sell or reburbish these devices to see what's available, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
137 Posts
you could use the coin slot that happcontrols.com sells like gadget-evilusions said, and then connect that coin slot to an IPAC board:
http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

that board can take the signal sent from the little switch and make the computer think that a button has been pressed on a computer keyboard. That would make it super simple to trigger your routines.

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
Maybe it could be rigged to accept candy for payment instead of money. The kids would have to trade a piece of candy for the entertainment. Then you could give out the candy that you collect. Sounds like a win win especially for the tots that don't have money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the Advice!

I love the candy idea! but not sure about how it will trigger the routine. I wonder if there is some sort of USB motion sensor, or trigger or pressure sensor?

For charity events It would still work for spare change too!

I think im theming it around a vintage fortune teller using my SkulltroniX :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Talk to Nelson over at MonkeyBasic.com ...

You will need to get VSA console but
his free software supports triggering VSA events from USB devices.

I have found USB coin acceptors that take and check the change/tokens such as this one: http://www.sitekiosk.com/Help/SiteKiosk/sitecash/dev_emp800.htm

Its just trying to activate the VSA routine through the conputer. Im not sure how pc's react to these usb coin slots.

Im getting started on the design of the booth! :D

Any ideas would be great!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I'd use a beam break for a simple coin drop if you are more interested in just having the 'effect' than grabbing the tokens/money.

I'm hoping to build a laughing evil clown kiosk for this year but next year I'd like a creepy fortune teller that gives out nasty fortunes.

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
yea but they would only pay with the sucky candy :(
True, I did think of that but the candy would be given away. I do think an IR sensor could work. However, if the prop is being used to collect money for charity then obviously money will have to do. Hmmm, I guess canned goods for charity is another thought...drop it into a bin to activate the prop.

·
Volat cum ea suas alas.
12,853 Posts
I think you should have to insert a finger into a slot to activate it. Maybe have Charlie the Chopper animatronic...heheheh..make the kids worry thier finger will be chopped off...

·
Slowly Losing My Mind
2,820 Posts
I think you should have to insert a finger into a slot to activate it. Maybe have Charlie the Chopper animatronic...heheheh..make the kids worry thier finger will be chopped off...
Now that's a good idea Debbie! That opens up many possibilities for hidden shocks and thrills. You could have someone hiding in a box and pull their finger.

Damn it, now I'm just off topic. Sorry TryAgain.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have been toying with this idea for some time. I believe that putting a motion sensor inside a box will work. Then anything that falls into or through the box will activate the event. Anything will work and there is alot of info on using the motion sensors on the net.

·
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty
2,236 Posts
Google zultan fortune coin op for examples.

There are several examples of this being done to the Gemmy fortune tellers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hiya guys,

Thanks for all your help! I never knew how keen you guy are about these things! :D

I found 2 thin wires, and even though i had no idea what I was doing i put them into pins 15 and 25 like the Helmsman help page suggested. Using helmsman, when i touch them together and the routine triggers! I couldnt belive it as im usless at this sorta thing! :p

So I guess i can wire the ends of these 2 wires to sensors and mat swiches ect, but does anyone if UK coin acceptors have a trigger that I can wire these 2 ends to? Im looking at these ones. http://www.eurocoin.co.uk/cat_mechanical.cfm

Thanks again for your help, any input would be great! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts