Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
10/5/2021 - FINISHED PICS UPDATED! Scroll through the thread!

10/19/2016 - UPDATED

This year I wanted to make a grand entry into the yard. I've seen a lot of column designs and whatnot, but wanted to go big...REALLY BIG!

It started about a month ago with pretty detailed plans I made in Google SketchUp:

This past weekend I started construction.

The frames were built from a combination of 2x6 and 2x4 lumber. The original plan was to build the frame, covered in plywood, using plaster to create details,and foam in specific areas.

So these were built with that plan in mind. Took about 3-4 hours or so.

The next day I set out to cover in plywood. I got this far, the entire top encased, when I realized I had made a massive miss-calculation. Weight. I knew it'd be heavy, and I wanted it heavy for sturdiness and safety reasons (having the fire and all,) but at this point it was completely un-manageable. I could barely move it (notice the hand truck) and nearly killed myself in the process.

I needed a re-design, and fast.
I decided to go with only foam, the standard 2" pink insulation.

But going with foam, meant I had to rebuild the top parts of my columns. The foam comes sold in 2' wide sections and my columns were slightly bigger than that, and because of the cost involved I wanted to be able to use the natural width of the foam.

Basically like this:

So I tore down all the plywood and the top half of both columns, and rebuilt it smaller, and to utilize furring strips as support for the foam. You'll see the differences if you compare the first design to this design.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here it is covered in the foam (I started carving the corners to appear more "natural")

Mocking up the stone grout joints, and a big crack I cut out

I scoured around my local Sears and found a router bit that makes a pretty good grout line.

This is where I'm currently at. This week I hope to finish covering both in foam, top and bottom, and next week I plan to do all the carving.

I was going to simply prime, paint, etc. But now I'm thinking of first covering it all in this "Foam Coat" stuff. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well about 2 hours with my router, covering my driveway in pink dust.
An hour with the hot knife to knock off the sharp edges left by the router, and another hour of so with the heat gun to texturize the surface, I'm done with the stone carving portion.

9/14/2016
Finished up the tops of both columns, the 'trim work' if you will. Also finally got all the parts for my torches; burners, fittings, hoses, etc.
Here's some pics and videos of some torch tests and how it'll be put together. Enjoy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
9/26/2016 - Minor progress. Finished covering both bases in their first later and traced out my pattern for the second layer.
Oh and the completed torch (well, 1 of them)

10/3/2016
All 3 sides on both columns done; just have to do the base and glue on the center section, then we're READY FOR PAINT!!AAHHH

10/19/2016
Construction is done!!! Finished the monograms, and got 1 coat of drylok on so far. Hoping to spray the next color and do some detail over the next few days
For whatever reason I didn't take a pic of them after I finished distressing the bottom half, so this pic is missing cracks\etc...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
FINISHED PICS!

fyi; most of these are just the days leading up when not everything is up and running.

Wheel Property Building Purple Lighting

The laser swamp walking through the columns.
Window Wheel Street light Building Road surface

When you turn all 3 massive fog machines to 11, you fog out an entire neighborhood....
Cloud Sky Automotive lighting Purple Atmospheric phenomenon

·
Super Moderator
64,290 Posts
Beautiful work so far! This is going to be an impressive entryway.

·
Clean "cut"
27,606 Posts
Can't wait to see the progress

·
Registered
10 Posts
Holy Moly this is fantastic! All we ever had were silk flames! woweee! Fantastic job! Looking forward to seeing the final product in action.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

the camera really doesn't capture the detail and how it looks. I even impressed myself! lol
It completely looks like old broken stone.

·
Super Moderator
64,290 Posts
Very impressive! Now all you need is a huge graveyard to go with them:jol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flames in action

I'd love to know more about the flaming urns! The Facebook link doesn't seem to work. Do you have an alternative?

Thanks for the great post, by the way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts