Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
2,279 Posts
Eleanor Audley was the voice of madam leota and Maleficent in Disney's Sleeping Beauty. Great thread Mr. Chicken !

·
2,279 Posts
Did you have any problems with refection off the crystal ball ? I tried my projector on the same ball that you used and got a image on the ball and the wig head. Thanks

·
Scared Silly
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bobzilla: here's how you fix the double image problem
The spirit ball is spray painted with a bunch of silver paint to make it look more magical, I guess. Take some paint thinner (actually, I had to use "thinner for metalizer," because regular paint thinner wasn't strong enough) and wipe off the flecks of paint that are in the front area of the globe (the part that looks clear).
If you look closely at my video, you can see that when Leota's mouth opens really wide, it actually had that double image on the lower part of the globe.

Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
64,292 Posts
I'm totally impressed by the level of effort you put into this prop. Great job!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Really nice prop you made Mr_Chicken! Loved watching the video. This has me kicking myself for not picking up the spirit balls that I saw on sale at SpiritHalloween throughout this past Halloween season. This would have been a fun thing to work on leading up to next Halloween. BTW I thought your photos and how-to were great also. Thanks for taking the time to share and inspire!

Also have to say that I really love Madame Leota's "do" that you came up with.

·
2,279 Posts
Great job Mr. Chicken. Very kind of you to share with us.

·
Scared Silly
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How do you pull a video off of youtube for personal use?
Frankly, I haven't got a clue. I really just put the Youtube version up to provide a visual for what I couldn't explain very well in words. Let me know if you figure it out, though, and be sure to tell me if you use it!

Actually, the real thing is of a higher quality than the YT version, so if anyone knows how I could send/distribute that, it would be much more effective.

·
2,279 Posts
The best way would be to upload it to a file-sharing site like Sendspace: http://www.sendspace.com/ Just click the browse button & locate the file on your hard drive, click on the file & then click the "open" button, Then type in your email address, check the terms of service box & then once the file uploads it'll give you a download link. Cut & paste the link in a forum message & then anyone can access the file from there.

·
Scared Silly
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okey dokey, I've uploaded the video to sendspace. PM me if you want a link.

I know I could just put the link to the download here, but it was a lot of work to make, so while I'm happy to share, I'd like to (kind of) regulate its dispersal (plus, this gives an added incentive for you nonmembers reading this to join!).

Thanks Bob & Sickie.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you use Firefox it has an add on called download helper that allows you to download any video online. Then you can use the free program youtube downloader which will take the flash movie you get from youtube and convert it to a usable format.

·
Scared Silly
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you use Firefox it has an add on called download helper that allows you to download any video online. Then you can use the free program youtube downloader which will take the flash movie you get from youtube and convert it to a usable format.
Thanks, I didn't know about that.
But if anyone wants the full quality version of my projection, I still say PM me for the download link.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Another choice for the ball itself is a large plastic or glass globe used for light fixtures. Very popular in the 60's & 70'sm, they are available in many sizes and finishes. they already have a protruding neck with a lip for locking them down. This gives you the opportunity to choose the dimension and style without paying big bucks to butcher someone else's prop.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts