Haunt Forum banner
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ward,

very nice! What kind of projector did you use. I' working on this prop, but my projector looks to be larger than yours. Phyllis

·
Registered
258 Posts
FYI..... My ball had alot of scratches, really unusable. I used Pledge with orange oil on it and they are not noticable anymore. This is a tempory fix, I guess as the oil dries it will reveal the scratches again. I suppose you could use any oil, as long as the ball stays slightly damp. I did this yesterday afternoon and it is still good as of this morning. This will work for my haunt, we only do Halloween night. Hope this helps someone. You may want to test a small area first just to make sure whatever you use doesn't react with your ball. Good luck!

·
DeceptiProp
5,844 Posts
Just getting ready to ask about the crystal ball, but then I got this like thing in my head to actually read the rest of the thread. Then I figured it out. Go figure. I thought about making something like this next year but in its own structure or building. Like a booth or something. The ball that you see in the photo I have enclosed I got at wal-greens. It actually changes color etc. It certanly wouldn't be good for this but I wanted to incorperate it some how. But I would like to do this, just need a projector.

Attachments

·
Scared Silly
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I sure hope you do it DT! It's such a rewarding project...even more so than 3-axis skuls, perhaps.

Nice work Ward! I know that isn't your final setup, but you may want to make the projection a little larger in relation to the head form.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think my head form is much more narrow than yours. Had to compress/squeze (left to Right) the video in premeire to make sure eyes and nose fit properly. Still leaves a little unused head form a tthe bottom. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used a FAVI Mini Pocket Projector, PJM-1000, beware that is is for close range projection. My projector is hidden inside a hollow mini-podium holding a book in the video. (about 30-32 inches away)

·
Scared Silly
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I think the trick with the head is to not make it too rounded-- the flatter it is, the less the image will distort. I used plaster to make the face wider and create a uniform texture on the whole head. See the pic on the first page.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
what about a clear plastic balloon has anyone tried to project on that. I have a balloon stuffer that you can slip anything through a 4 inch tube into a clear balloon. But I do not have a projector so I can not test to see if it works.

·
Scared Silly
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
what about a clear plastic balloon has anyone tried to project on that. I have a balloon stuffer that you can slip anything through a 4 inch tube into a clear balloon. But I do not have a projector so I can not test to see if it works.
As long as the balloon is actually transparent it should work. Not sure if 4" is enough to fit a decent sized head, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mr_Chicken, how do you deal with the extra light that the projector puts off? I setup my Leota tonight and found that the projection works great on her face, but there's a big box on the wall behind her (its the "black" portion of the film clip that's showing up when I project the image)

·
Registered
47 Posts
FYI..... My ball had alot of scratches, really unusable. I used Pledge with orange oil on it and they are not noticable anymore. This is a tempory fix, I guess as the oil dries it will reveal the scratches again. I suppose you could use any oil, as long as the ball stays slightly damp. I did this yesterday afternoon and it is still good as of this morning. This will work for my haunt, we only do Halloween night. Hope this helps someone. You may want to test a small area first just to make sure whatever you use doesn't react with your ball. Good luck!
Ah, pledge, that might work! I have the same problem. The ball has a ton of scratches on it (luckily, mostly on one side only). I am wondering if there is anyway to buff them out at all. Typically, you can buff plastic (I think). Any ideas?

·
Scared Silly
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Mr_Chicken, how do you deal with the extra light that the projector puts off? I setup my Leota tonight and found that the projection works great on her face, but there's a big box on the wall behind her (its the "black" portion of the film clip that's showing up when I project the image)
That's an easy fix. You're going to need to cut out a small circle in, say, a piece of cardboard. Put the cardboard in front of the lens of the projector such that it obstructs the edges of the projection from reaching the wall, but the subject of your projection (here, the face) is not obscured. It takes a little fiddling with, but it's super easy, and the result is well worth it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I set up my Leota and she looks pretty good, but I'm getting a glare from the projector. It seems to be where my ball has some ripples in the plastic. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love the video (thanks chicken man), project underway, probably finish tomorrow.

I made a few audio changes to the video to creep it out a little more. To the Disney purists, I apologize.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow! Excellent job on this and thanks for the explanation. I would appreciate a copy of the video you edited, it looks great.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts