Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This poor fellow trespassed on the wrong farmer's property. He was beaten and tied to a scarecrow post with barbed wire, a burlap sack over his head, and left to die.

He was still alive and conscious when the crows started to peck at him...

More photos here:
http://marrowhouse.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/skeleton-country.html

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate the awesome feedback!
Is there a how-to on your blog? I know that many of the techniques you used have probably already been presented somewhere or another; but I always like seeing how individual creations are made.
No how-tos as of yet. I first learnt to make this stuff from SpookyBlue's amazing tutorials, and I've just been experimenting with different hands, ribcages and so on.

Did you corpse an existing piece, or was this prop built from scratch?
Built from scratch. Newspaper and masking tape.
: D

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Great work as always Marrow, you have a great eye and talent for the creepy. Keep on haunting my friend.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,238 Posts
You did a beautiful job on him. It's made even better by the amazing scenery you have there.

·
Super Moderator
64,173 Posts
Holy crap, Marrow! How did you get to be so good at such a young age?:)

The posture and head tilt speak volumes, even without the back story.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks heaps guys (and girls)!

He was originally going to have a weathered cardboard box over his head, but it ended up looking weird and awkward. I went with the burlap sack instead.

I decided to bring the cardboard box along to the photoshoot location anyway. I wanted to take a few photos of it with the original box idea:

The box-head makes it look sort of inhuman, which wasn't what I was going for. I wanted to give it a sad, tortured look. I wanted people to feel sympathy for it. With the burlap sack, you can easily see the head shape and positioning. As RoxyBlue said, head position is everything.

Here's a great post Rot did on the subject:
http://pumpkinrot.blogspot.co.nz/2008/07/scarecrow-physiology.html

·
She looks so normal
21,276 Posts
The story is just so disturbingly wrong. Congratulations. Great piece.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts