Haunt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have a craftsman rotary tool. its a dremel that says craftsman. i was looking at the router attchment,
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Power+Tool+Accessories&pid=00953175000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Router+Tables+%26+Attachments&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes
and wondering if that could do the type of freehand routing like the tiny little dremel one can. it says routing freehand so i tihnk it would, but i need it to go all over like for a grave. from the look of the picture it seems like i would only be able to do a 2x4 in there...

or am i just retarted and the whole thing picture would move around? which would be perfect.

thanks

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Beepem
I think if you can get it for the craftsman dremel you would be better off with the Dremel Moto Tool Flex-Shaft Attachment.
I found this but maybe someone here knows where a local type store would have it.
http://www.mytoolstore.com/dremel/flexaccs.html
it seems the sears limk you have up doesnt carry it but you might call and ask them

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
craftsman doesnt make dremel?

but i dont see what you sent me would do differently than a rotary, it doesnt seem like it would hold the sanding thing level it looks like its just a tiny rotary

i may be retarted like i said before =) but i dont see how that can stay level which is what im looking for like the craftsman one would

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Beep No I said I coulndt find that attachment( the extension hose) on the sears site..

and yes it (the attachment ) is still a rotary tool but its like using a pencil to carve letters instead of having to hold the heavier 'dremel'.

Anyways if you need it to be level while doing whatever then stay with the router attachment
maybe I'm retarded< could be

·
Registered
329 Posts
Beepem, the "thing" on the side of the attachment that makes you think it might only work on a 2x4 is an edge guide. It's there so you can make a pass down the edge of your wood (or foam) and have your tool stay parallel to the edge i.e. make your cut straight and not all crooked. It comes off so you can use the base plate out in the middle of your tombstone.
These are actually nice because you can set the depth of your rotary bit (please unplug it first, these can do serious damage to flesh) where you want it and just move it all over the tombstone and cut a nice even relief cut (indentation) across the whole front.
I have one for my rotary tool and it works great for what you are doing. I say go for it, it makes to job much easier and leaves a nice even surface when you are done.
Here's an example: http://www.hauntpics.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=topn&cat=10137&pos=5

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes you can remove the edge guide(the black part) and use it as a freehand router. Here's a tip for free hand routering: Always start at the center of any larger area to be routed, that wat you always have a higher surface to rest the base of the router on.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awesome guys thanks, i still think i might be retarted though lol

im getting one for my birthday....tuesday.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i went and got one early, THIS THING ROCKS! its really awesome. thanks guys

·
Bataholic
2,725 Posts
Yes you can remove the edge guide(the black part) and use it as a freehand router. Here's a tip for free hand routering: Always start at the center of any larger area to be routed, that wat you always have a higher surface to rest the base of the router on.
I'm so glad you gave us this tip. I just started using my dremel plunge router on a new prop, and after playing with it the wrong way, LOL :googly: that helped me a lot! :> Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts