Haunt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of turning my front porch this year into a scene from the upside down like in Stranger Things. I'm thinking of trying a snow machine to look like the flakes floating around in the upside down. Any suggestions or advice in using one? I'm thinking of buying one that looks like a fog machine but I don't have any experience with one. Then I'm going to make vines out of spray foam and rope and a gateway with orange lights behind it etc. Maybe a demidog and/or a demigorgon somewhere and then play music that was featured in the series. I definitely need to get started on this project! :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have never seen Stranger Things so no clue what this is but it sounds really interesting and made me think of the Tiltin’ Hilton at Disney ha ha.

EDIT: After looking up the Upside Down it has come to my attention that I’m an idiot and it doesn’tmean that literally. Assumptions…. Ugh. Please forgive my stupidity ha ha. It will be cool to see what you come up with though.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
lol - same here, I guess I just don't watch that much ...well, back in the 'ol days, we'd call it "TV" or 'the tube' because it had this big glass..... well, ...never mind!

But yes, sounds interesting. If this really is upside down, I wonder if you could hook your snow machine up to a helium tank so the snowflakes float up instead of fall down? Probably expensive for a very minor effect though.

·
I Never Fibula
1,471 Posts
Good luck with that, Vamp! Sounds really cool if you can pull it off.
The ash fall in the series is pretty light as I recall - what about something like this, if you have room to suspend it from your porch ceiling?:
Not suggesting you pay that much or spend the time ordering it from Europe, but there's quite a few crafty people on this site that might offer suggestions on creating something similar? Probably be best if you find a very light organic material for the flakes to minimize cleanup. Here we have bougainvillea, and the pedals are really thin and blow around easily (and can be easily shredded). I would experiment with something like that if it were me.
Hope it works out for you! 🦴

·
Registered
694 Posts
Good luck with that, Vamp! Sounds really cool if you can pull it off.
The ash fall in the series is pretty light as I recall - what about something like this, if you have room to suspend it from your porch ceiling?:
Not suggesting you pay that much or spend the time ordering it from Europe, but there's quite a few crafty people on this site that might offer suggestions on creating something similar? Probably be best if you find a very light organic material for the flakes to minimize cleanup. Here we have bougainvillea, and the pedals are really thin and blow around easily (and can be easily shredded). I would experiment with something like that if it were me.
Hope it works out for you! 🦴
What is the purpose of plugging that in? Is it to generate an electric charge like is used when people are creating fake trees for dioramas to get the pieces of material to stand up while they apply it to the trees?
Obviously I’m not clear on what the desired effect is but could you create a giant clear box with clear mylar as the front/back/sides with fans on the bottom blowing the snow up and around or is it too big of an area? Sorry, if this sounds ridiculous and completely unrelated to what you are trying to do. If there is anyone who can figure out how to do what you want, they are likely a member here, clearly it is not me though ha ha.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
That all seems like a lot of work. My man card specifically says "avoid hard work if at all possible by finding the easiest, cheapest way to do things that will just squeak past HER inspection."

I would try a projection of "snow" or pin-lights swirling around and see if that gives the desired effect without getting "stuff" on people, or creating more work than needed. But I'm a lazy sod. I'm REALLY interested to see the creatures and overall look of the place! Sounds like it will be THE place for the ToTs to visit!

·
I Never Fibula
1,471 Posts
What is the purpose of plugging that in? Is it to generate an electric charge like is used when people are creating fake trees for dioramas to get the pieces of material to stand up while they apply it to the trees?
There is a small motor that's used to slowly drag the "snow" material (on a grate) back and forth across the bottom of the container, allowing material to fall through the holes at the bottom. I have no idea how fast it would go through a full box of material, but I imagine it could last a few hours if the holes aren't too big? Seems like a relatively passive system - not much noise or need to re-fill material for the length of T&Ting, but I certainly understand the Dr's take on it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
There is a small motor that's used to slowly drag the "snow" material (on a grate) back and forth across the bottom of the container, allowing material to fall through the holes at the bottom. I have no idea how fast it would go through a full box of material, but I imagine it could last a few hours if the holes aren't too big? Seems like a relatively passive system - not much noise or need to re-fill material for the length of T&Ting, but I certainly understand the Dr's take on it.
Thanks. I appreciate the explanation!

·
Registered
18 Posts
No thoughts on the ash, other than using projections or lighting might be a bit more practical and less messy. If you do the rope vines just use black rope, black twine and black great stuff. You won't have to do any painting at all! I made some vines this year and while making them had the thought that they would be perfect for the upside down if left black. Here is one of mine before painting...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No thoughts on the ash, other than using projections or lighting might be a bit more practical and less messy. If you do the rope vines just use black rope, black twine and black great stuff. You won't have to do any painting at all! I made some vines this year and while making them had the thought that they would be perfect for the upside down if left black. Here is one of mine before painting...
That's a great idea :) I didn't know they made black great stuff. I will definitely look for that! Thank you :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wait, what, black great stuff, we so need to get actual Great Stuff in Australia, not just expanding foam designed for whatever they use it for, stealing garages or something similar I think. More research required.
Wait, what?? You have committed great stuff?? We so need actual Great Stuff in Australia, not just the expanding foam that starts out nice and white so great for snow on my gingerbread house for Christmas, but turns brownish as it dries so needs to be painted to stay white.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wait, what?? You have coloured great stuff?? We so need actual Great Stuff in Australia, not just the expanding foam that starts out nice and white, so great for snow on my gingerbread house for Christmas, but turns brownish as it dries so needs to be painted to stay white.

More research required.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Moreno Manor did a whole Stranger Things haunt last year. It was incredible. Kristy built all those items you mentioned and more. She’s Ojai Haunt on YouTube and moreno_manor on Instagram. She has dozens of ST build tutorials on YouTube. Here’s the walk through from last year. Moreno Manor Stranger Things Haunt
That's really awesome! Thanks for the link!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts