Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Evil, Wicked, Mean, Nasty
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Like many of the forum members who grew up watching monster movies on weekend mornings, I wanted to use a classic monsters in my haunt this year - Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Wolfman, Dracula, and the Mummy. This is my version of the Frankenstein monster.

I originally planned the prop for use in the "upcoming" tech contest this year. But I wasn't going to wait an entire year for the contest guidelines, and I wasn't going to strip things off of him to make him eligible.

To show and summarize this prop, I am going to include an explanation of build and the accessory props that go with it. The creature uses a wood structure similar to my standing zombies. But it's modified to support pneumatics that move the creatures arms. Both arms move independently, the eyes light up, and the head moves from side to side. The restraining frame also lights up, and holds a mounted strobe in the back. All functions are supported by the monster controller I built earlier in the year (mentioned in the Use of Prop Controller thread).

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
In the thread I started called Multiple Voltage Question, I discussed in detail, some of the challenges I had building the controller.

The controller sends signals to the Frankenstein monster, activating movements. For pneumatic control of the arms, two independent pneumatic valves are mounted inside the chest of the monster. For the eyes to light, or the head to move, 12 volt signals are transmitted to the monster. A gear motor is mounted to move the head at the neck...underneath the shoulders.

The monster controller is based mainly on relay switching, controlled by an EFX-TEK controller. And if you're wondering - no, I don't plan to purchase from them again. Their support has been horrible and their EZ-8 controller does not work properly.

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The restraining frame was created primarily from wood, painted with a solid black, then painted with cheap silver paint. The bolts on the frame are not metal, I cast them from a single bolt with a resin kit purchased from Hobby Lobby. Up close, you can see, the look is pretty good.

To attach the bolts to the frame, I simply used a heavy dab of quick dry epoxy. When painted, this gives me an interesting surface that almost looks like a weld (see image). The chains were gold plastic chain, purchased online. In a separate thread, you'll find discussions regarding the problems painting plastic chain, even with Fusion plastic spray paint.

The restraining frame is seven feet tall, maybe slightly taller.

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The creatures face was made using Crayola Model Magic. Yes, that kiddie modeling clay you find with the grade school supplies. The image below shows the original sculpt as I had just started to apply a gray coating of paint above the ear.

I painted this thing several times until I got a look that I wanted. It actually looked pretty cool in gray but it just wasn't close enough to what people might expect based on the movies. I wasn't looking for him to look like Boris Karloff. I wanted a friendlier Chip Hazard style that kids might find more approachable as a photo op, yet would still look to me like it was pieced together from parts of different people.

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The head pivots, using a black gear motor, mounted under the shoulder board. The head swivels left and right, moving back and forth for as long as there is power to the motor.

When my monster controller transmits an active current across the wires, the head moves. By coordinating a scripted sequence, I can make the monster growl, the arms raise, the eyes light up, and the head move back and forth as if the creature is struggling to be freed from bondage.

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The prop will be displayed along with the Bride of Frankenstein, a werewolf, and other laboratory themed props. On the wall behind the monster, I will mount a sign I created - shown below in new metal and rusted versions.

If anyone is interested, the template is posted in one of my forum albums. Also on the wall, I will hang full sized movie posters from the classic old movies.

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another wall sign to post nearby. I created a large version of this to post near the creature.

·
Super Moderator
64,251 Posts
Love the non-traditional face on this guy and yes - video, please!:)

·
Muddled Moderator
28,257 Posts
You can't go wrong with the classics! Your Frankie sculpt looks great, I like your take on him.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Your creations are amazing! Masterfully done and the effect you strived for was accomplished perfectly!

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks so much for the comments. It's always nice to hear feedback, good or bad.

Sorry, but I don't expect to have video any time soon. I working on simulating a short circuited fuse box to integrate into my the programmed sequence. I made and tested the fuses - using pvc and imbedded c7 lights. Now I'm searching for an old fusebox to mount them.

·
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here are a few snapshots of my short circuited fuses. I'll attach a small video. Sorry..it's not from a video camera so the quality will be a bit poor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts