2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes.

Price list:
Foam=$6.33
paint/sealer=$2.60
roller and tray=$2.00
xacto knife=free with christmas gift 3 yrs ago

How to: First I traced the coffin shape and the bat onto the foam. Then I cut out the foam with a hacksaw. Then I used my Versa tool and burnt out the bat. Then used an xacto knife to cut out the letters and such. Painted them then added 3 coats of blackish exterior latex paint left over from my husbands decoy painting days. Added 2 coats of concrete sealer and that was it. Hardest part was figuring out the design! :D

DFBL :jol:

·
Bataholic
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you!!!! :D Its my very first one and i think i'm now addicted! :D

·
A little bit bent...
3,232 Posts
A black tombstone! I've never seen anything like that before. Interesting concept, well-done!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Great job DFBL! Glad to see the bat represented!! As you saw mine was only bat-esque (with the wings) so yours takes the bat-cake! ;)

·
Bataholic
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all very much! You are so sweet! :) Still can't believe its in my living room!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I love the black and red stone idea! Man, imagine how fascinated the trick or treaters are gonna be with that come Halloween. ;)

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Great eye for detail, Dark Bat! These tombstones are looking very good. :jol:

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
You know...looking at this again, I think you've inspired me to try making a coffin using driveway sealer. I've had a bucket of this stuff in my carport, but didn't know how long it would take to dry or if it would melt the foam.

How long did it take to dry? Is it still sticky? Any problems with it on the foam?

BTW I included a pic in my entry thread that has a bat shadow in the background just for you. ;-)

·
Bataholic
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thank you very much everyone!!! Your words of encouragement mean the world to me! Seriously. This is my first one and I can't wait to do more! Guess you could say I've been bitten! :>

Sickie Ickie~I didn't have any problems with it. The guy at Menards recommended it to me and it dried fairly quickly. I also used a hairdryer to help speed up the drying time. :) It says to wait 1 hour between coats but since i used the hair dryer on it i didn't have to wait the whole hour. And mine isn't sticky either. We'll see how it really holds up this fall! Cant wait to make more! Thank you for your kind words and I'm glad that I inspired you! :) Gonna go look at your pics again!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.