Haunt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The city that we live in has actually listed our yard haunt as a 'city attraction'. That in and of itself is, in my opinion, quite the accomplishment.

I just had a rather interesting and somewhat disturbing conversation with the neighbor that lives directly to our right.
She has never said anything before. We've been here for over 3 years now. But... amid her bid to see if we had time to fix the rotting fence post between our yards, (post on her side, fyi,) she made sure to mention that it was getting close to Halloween and she had some things to say.

At this point, I notice something I had never noticed before. After just returning from her mailbox... and just after receiving the usual patronizing wave that lets me know she wants to speak with me... I spy the outside of the bundle she is carrying in her arms. She is carrying a magazine. That outside of that magazine reads... 'The Evangelist... The Ministries of Jimmy Swaggart'.

...insert dramatic pause here... or ...'Dummmm...dummmm.....dummmm....'

Now, being that I have several Christian neighbors... most of which beg us to do the haunt each year, I initially think little of this.

That is, until, she says, 'I think you should know that I am a Christian. Halloween is not a 'Holy-Day'. I view Halloween as a Satanic night and those that are invovled are Satanists.'

I'm pretty sure that the woman who just asked me to fix her fence just called us Satanists. I'm fairly certain that we will not be fixing her fence post.

As I attempt to tell her that I respect her's, as well as everyone else's religious beliefs, as well as making the futile attempt to school her on the origins of Halloween as well as it's predecessors... (my husband does have a degree in History and Philosophy, after all.) She sthen remarks, 'I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.'

Honestly, every fiber of my being wants to haunt like I've never haunted before. This being on the year we weren't even certain that we would even be able to afford said haunt, for that matter.

Thaunts? (Transcribed = haunty thoughts?)

·
Super Moderator
64,259 Posts
Ignore the remark and continue to be a pleasant neighbor to those around you. Do Halloween as you had planned to do and simply remind yourself that you're creating happy scary memories for those who enjoy what you do.

·
Clean "cut"
27,579 Posts
I had the customer who always told me she would pray for my soul because I did Halloween. I just always humored her but at least I didn't live next door to her.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Wow, this is really really something. It's not the fact that she is a Christian, but the fact that she has allowed herself to be told by someone else that Halloween is a Satanist holiday. Well okay, for some people it maybe is, but we all know it never started out that way. For the majority of us it isn't. Here is a woman that has never taken the time to stop and learn about what Halloween really was and is today.

She is coming from a thought that because you celebrate Halloween then we all fall into a certain way of thinking. That we worship Satan and all that comes with it. And we all know that's just not true. I grew up in Church, my mom was a Sunday School teacher for some 30 years. We celebrated Halloween, in fact it was her that got me interested in such things.

The church we attended also celebrated Halloween, the youth group (as we were called) would go to this old house that was set up as a haunted house. It wasn't until years later that they decided that it needed to be cancelled because of some insurance problem with the owner of the property the house was on.

I'm really getting fed up with people who call themselves Christians who don't take the time to study on such things. It's like Jesus wasn't born on Christmas but in the spring. Okay I guess it's good to know when he was born, but really when you think about it does it matter? Most of us still celebrate Christmas as Christ birth as well as just Christmas.

I thank my mom for not taking away the joy of Halloween and for allowing me to celebrate it in a way that it was fun.

I would just ignore your neighbor, on what she has said because your not going to be able to change her mind on this one. She believes what she believes. You can show her that through love and patience that your not a Satanist, you don't practice it and that people can celebrate Halloween without being involved with some type of ritual and still be a good neighbor.

Although I think I would dress up as the devil and take her some goodies on Halloween night and surprise her with some Halloween kindness!!!!! :jol:

·
Registered
512 Posts
All things considered, do you really give a damn what she thinks? All are entitled to their opinions, just be kind enough to keep them to yourself or you may find, that by subjecting me to your beliefs, I WILL subject you to mine. Some neighbors always have a fault with those around them, don't like your yard, don't like your pet, don't like your kids, ad nauseam. Atheists don't like Christmas, Christians don't like Halloween. Bottom line, your rights end at my property line. I guess my point is this, when it comes to a hard seated religious belief you are going to battle a losing cause in trying to convince someone of your point of view. What chance has logic got when there are religious factions that can convince their followers that strapping on a bomb is a great idea. Better to go about enjoying your Halloween and let them enjoy their ignorance.

·
Official HF Jerk v1.0
3,104 Posts
Living in the Bible Belt, I've learned that no matter how much factual information you place in front of someone, they will believe exactly what they want to believe. I have placed documents downloaded from the Library of Congress website in front of people, then had them argue with me for hours about why they are right and the government's repository of knowledge is wrong. There's nothing for it but to just let them be. You'll never convince a religious zealot that you are correct when it comes to religion, unless you agree with them.

on a side note:
I wouldn't fix the fence post, either.

·
Registered
822 Posts
It's pretty messed up this woman (with no manners) had the gall to insult you while you were helping her with the fence. For a so called "Christian" she's pretty rude. I agree, no point in arguing with a religious fanatic. Would have asked her myself, that if we do agree to disagree why bother bringing it up if you were just trying to be rude in the first place? Course that's just me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Really sorry DarkRose. Do it up and don't let her get to you. There's no law against our holiday and nothing she can do to spoil it unless you let her! ;)

·
Registered
548 Posts
kill her with kindness..she will really hate that. and you could fix her fence and tell here the devil made me to it!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Just let it fly. If she tries to shut you down, shut her religious stuff down. It is a free country still right? People can have their opinions, that's fine. No need to worry. I also like the kill her with kindness thing, that almost ALWAYS works.

·
Muddled Moderator
28,261 Posts
If she's a good neighbor beyond the recent comments, I'd ignore it and be polite and just do your thing on Halloween. Some folks are set in their minds and nothing you say (no matter how true) can change that.

·
Headless & Haunting
Creating a massive fundraiser haunted house for our local Scout group.
4,782 Posts
All things considered, do you really give a damn what she thinks? All are entitled to their opinions, just be kind enough to keep them to yourself or you may find, that by subjecting me to your beliefs, I WILL subject you to mine. Some neighbors always have a fault with those around them, don't like your yard, don't like your pet, don't like your kids, ad nauseam. Atheists don't like Christmas, Christians don't like Halloween. Bottom line, your rights end at my property line. I guess my point is this, when it comes to a hard seated religious belief you are going to battle a losing cause in trying to convince someone of your point of view. What chance has logic got when there are religious factions that can convince their followers that strapping on a bomb is a great idea. Better to go about enjoying your Halloween and let them enjoy their ignorance.
Well said Brad. Sorry you had to go through that Darkrose - it's the one thing I really dislike about any religion - those who force their beliefs upon others. Waste of time trying to convert people who have tunnel vision. As hard as it will be now to ignore it (and I know it will be hard) you are best to let it go and just do whatever it is that you enjoy.

·
IN MEMORIAM - A Wee Bit Wicked....
8,670 Posts
:jol: Hhmmmm Darkrose, that is just a shame. I can't understand people that judge like that....they make no sense. "Judge not, lest you be judged" that part of the bible is often forgotten by those bible thumpers. I am sure God smiles on you with glee when he sees the wonderful joys you bring to all those little TOT's (and parents, and everyone who sees your haunt) on Halloween night. I wish she wasn't your neighbor......:(

·
Humanitarian of the Year
4,241 Posts
When they say their Christian, just tell them with a slight shrug, "Hey..... Forgive me." It's that simple

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have done thing with a lot of churches of all different faiths. Only one didn't particapate in our day. But they didn't try to put it down either. It must be certain areas if the country that people tend to make there own beliefs on thing regaurdless of whats written in history.

On another side note. In most places there are codes for fence construction. When the fence was first put in the post side is supposed to face the house or business that is having the fence installed. So unless you actually put up the fence. If you bought the.house and the fence was already there then its yoir neighbors fence and.there post to fix.

·
Humanitarian of the Year
4,241 Posts
That actually is a pretty good answer.
True ain't it? It's a good statement for any mouthy, obnoxious Christian type that judges other such as this person's neighbor.

Bio, say that the next time you get a chance. The look on the face is almost priceless!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts