Haunt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
told the wife this am "man, I gotta build something" so, when lizzie decided to take a nice long nap this afternoon, I did. I still need to hinge the lid and decide what I'm going to do with it (lighting, animation, maybe house my audio equipment).... like the crate, it was all free wood except the 2x2s. anyway, tada...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a propane torch, though I could carry it to work and use acetylene... I think I have some stain around that I could darken it up with.

·
Registered
458 Posts
yeah - stain would work well - or even some flat black spray paint lightly misted can do wonders if used properly - a combination of it would be great - did you decide what your gonna do with it yet? i see that you said you are gonna hinge the door - however - i guess looking at it from a realistic standpoint - if this is supposed to be halfway sticking out of the ground, the door wouldnt really be able to open much more than a half inch or whatever it could push against the ground - so if you wanted to keep it realistic and still have a movement with it, it keep a door thrash to a bare minimum - maybe a slight rocking/thrashing back and forth would be better suited - or a combination of both rocking then some slight door thrashing - keep us posted! riley

·
Registered
247 Posts
Has anyone tried ageing wood the same way some people age foam tombstones with black spraypaint? take a hose and spray down the wood really good, then take the hose and let the water run on the part you want to age, while its running, hit it with spraypaint, the effect on foam is amazing, not sure how it would work with wood though.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thank for all the encouragement and ideas...

I was going to hinge the lid so I could have easy access to the internals, whatever they may be. The Mrs. wants to have some sort of "help me...." noises coming out of it, and some scratching sounds. I think maybe a knocking rig would be in order, or a mechanism to make it tilt back and forth. I have a mp3 player, wiper motor and power supply I could use in it... I was thinking of getting another 400w fogger and timer and using that in there as well... it might be neat to have something inside that moves about and with the interior lit, you can see inside via the cross cutout. maybe some sort of thrasher... I'll have to look around to see what sort of mechanisms have been made to get ideas...

it's not very heavy, the pine wood from the pallets is pretty light, the heaviest part is the 3/4" plywood. it's nothing like my creature crate which is right around 95bs with the hardware on it. (no internals yet) - I'd guess it to be around 30lbs.

I think I can come up with enough planks to make at least one more partial, maybe this time the upper 1/4 at an angle from a horizontal position rather than vertical.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Great Job Nick...Good Inspiration
I better get crackin here ..
I have a bunch of pallets that are aged real nice I want to use to make such a thing as yours. Mine won't move maybe just the light for the cross .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts