Haunt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Latest update on the obelisk... it's dead.

I started to paint it a few weeks ago. Then it started raining outside.

Note to self:

Don't coat with joint compound next time. Moisture and joint compound are not friends.

Despite the fact it was raining outside and the obelisk was inside my shed, the moisture in the air managed to soften up the joint compound.

I let it dry out for a few days, and it was still soft. Then today, it started peeling off the surface of the prop. It was just making a huge mess.

Then, I got angry and took out my frustrations on the flimsy foam prop.

I'm going to start in on the Crypt next and revisit the obelisk later in the summer. This time, I'm just going to wood putty the cracks and leave it at that. No joint compound this time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Try using Plastic Wood. It's supposed to be more stable in humid environments (not a lot of expansion/contraction). Sorry to hear the first try didn't work out!

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've come to discover that there's a joint compound that's meant for outdoor use. I should have been using that.

Anyway, when I approach this project again, I'll be trying some techniques that will help make it look more aged and distressed, so the use of a covering layer of compound will be unnecessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.